95 cutlass 3.4 starter

brianstarr58

Turned the key and nothing happened..just a click. Turned 2 or 3 more times and after a couple of clicks it started. It's intermittent. Also noticed when this happens the clock resets to 1:00..is that normal? How much should it cost to have a starter installed? Thanks.

Edited by brianstarr58
Fixed..it was the starter.

Turned the key and nothing happened..just a click. Turned 2 or 3 more times and after a couple of clicks it started. It's intermittent. Also noticed when this happens the clock resets to 1:00..is that normal? How much should it cost to have a starter installed? Thanks.

This could just as easily be a defective or even merely discharged battery, or defective wiring. The starting/charging electrical power team is hugely inter-related and inter-dependent. Your real problem might be a failed alternator. Test the battery, alternator, starter, and the harness before you replace anything.

PS: OFF-the car testing--like what is done for free by some auto parts stores--is only mildly accurate. You need the starting/charging power team components tested ON-the car.

It sounds like a weak battery. If you have a volt meter measure battery voltage with the car not running (should be around 12v). If it's less, probably a bad battery. Check it again with the car running (should be 13.5v or so) this would indicate that the alternator is working. If you do end up putting on a different starter grab a gear reduction starter off a newer 3400, smaller, lighter and works great.

Edited by George

It sounds like a weak battery. If you have a volt meter measure battery voltage with the car not running (should be around 12v).

Let's be more specific. You should have 12.6--12.7 volts. 12.5 is 1/4 discharged. 12.2 is half-dead. "Around 12v" is WAY TOO LOW.

If it's less, probably a bad battery.

Or it could be merely discharged. There's no way to know without doing a proper test on the battery--or at least attempting to recharge it, and seeing what happens.

Check it again with the car running (should be 13.5v or so) this would indicate that the alternator is working.

Many Delco alternators are internally-regulated to around 14.2 volts. Some variation from there can be acceptable. 13.5 is as low as I'd accept.

Check voltage at the battery and also at the wires coming off the aux battery terminal. Check them while attempting to crank as well. There should be very little difference. If there is much difference, then you have a bad connection.

In the past, I've had both loose battery terminals AND loose nut at the aux battery terminal cause this (at separate times).

Many Delco alternators are internally-regulated to around 14.2 volts. Some variation from there can be acceptable. 13.5 is as low as I'd accept.

I might add, based on my observations with the DIS, that the voltage kicked out by the alternator is *highly* temperature dependant. On a hot day, you can hit the low 13's. On a -40degC day in Canada, it will run in the high 14's, even 15.0V is possible.