Greetings from Northern Virginia

primergray

Inside the Beltway, that is...just barely. I can see it if I'm on the roof of the house...

Greetings...I've been stalking the board for a couple months and I thought I should finally do the introduction thing...which is awkward always. My daily went down with a jumped timing chain (1980 Monte Carlo) so I thought I might need to take some pressure off of her (and give myself some time to fix her...so I wouldn't always be needing the gf's Volvo 740 wagon), so I joined the wonderful world of w-body when I found a 1994 Regal GS coupe. Love the car...hate the wheels. Apparently at some point it got 91 GS wheels, painted silver, but dark silver and not even the Corvette Rally Argent Silver *grumble*.

I'm all amazed at the technology of 1994 now, like an unfrozen early 80s caveman, but I got a deal on an Actron scanner from ebay and while I haven't bled on the Regal yet, I've cleared the CEL and did my first camshaft sensor (oooooh, serpentine belts!). So...hi all!

Yeah, pics from the craigslist ad...

post-11008-143689171865_thumb.jpg

post-11008-143689171876_thumb.jpg

post-11008-143689171881_thumb.jpg

Hmm, they look lighter here...maybe I should wash the damn things...

Welcome to the forum!! It's intriguing to me to see people from the Greater DC area.

Are you in Springfield by any chance? It seems to me that you're right by the mixing bowl since you're just out the beltway. I'm in DC, but I store my 94 Cutlass Supreme Vert in Alexandria.

In Annandale, actually...by way of Texas and Tallahassee. So is that Springfield mess of highways what they call the mixing bowl? I've wondered what the Mixing Bowl was...but apparently not enough to actually look it up. When I lived in Dallas, we had the Mixmaster...still don't know what that was either, but at least it was a suitably intimidating name.

In Annandale, actually...by way of Texas and Tallahassee. So is that Springfield mess of highways what they call the mixing bowl? I've wondered what the Mixing Bowl was...but apparently not enough to actually look it up. When I lived in Dallas, we had the Mixmaster...still don't know what that was either, but at least it was a suitably intimidating name.

Yeah that cluster of bridges that's around the 395/95 interchange is considered the mixing bowl, since 95 stops there. It's carried into Maryland via 495 and the Woodrow Wilson bridge, but it's dual signed as "495/95". It wasn't meant to be, 95 was supposed to bisect DC in half but issues caused that straight line to become the 395 spur.

I know where Annandale is. Are you closer to Fairfax or Alexandria?

Never would have guessed 125k. Cars up here with 125k miles are usually complete rust buckets.

DC area cars aren't complete rust buckets IF maintained well. My Vert is from St. Mary's County Maryland and it's structurally sound HOWEVER the interior was trashed. My Camaro is from Baltimore County Maryland (no relation to the city of Baltimore) and it has rust, but that's because it was a daily driver, never garaged.

The Alexandria border snakes around so much...closer to what part of Alexandria? I'm gonna say closer to Fairfax since I live around the Braddock Rd/Beltway area. There's some rust holes in the rear bumper supports and the fuel filler tube looks more than a little lumpy from underneath...and the K-frame/control arms could use some wire brushing/POR-15, but the actual body doesn't seem to have rust. Being from Texas, I really don't know if this amount is worrisome or not. Looks like they tried to keep it clean and it was mostly garaged but they never washed off the rear suspension area after winter outings. Kinda weird. Still...since it's the first non-g body (aside from a 80 Citation and 80 Sunbird I had in high school/college) and the first car I've owned that's newer than 1982, I don't have much to compare it to other than other people's cars and my 80 Monte.

Yeah, I know where you're talking about. I thought you were closer to the Little River Turnpike area where Columbia Pike is. That area is considered "Landmark" when you cross into Alexandria, but that border is where 395 is.

There's 2 Alexandria's btw... IDK if you know that, but there's unincorporated Alexandria in Fairfax County, and then there's the actual city of Alexandria.

The K frame is actually pretty common for rust, I'd fix it before it becomes somewhat serious.

The way I see it, rust is a Cancer and must be fixed before it attacks the frame.

Welcome to the forum. That Regal of yours looks to be in very nice shape. I have a Regal in the family w/ that same paint color if my monitor doesn't deceive me(appears to be malachite metallic).

Welcome to the forum. That Regal of yours looks to be in very nice shape. I have a Regal in the family w/ that same paint color if my monitor doesn't deceive me(appears to be malachite metallic).

Yeah, Malachite Metallic...took a little while on The Google Machine to learn what the paint color was...I had to know. Took a little while since everything kept leading to here and RegalGS at first...but I fear I'm far too into fake wood interior accents and analog gauges to fit in there.

So...I know the topic has come up, but where exactly does one find decent floor mats? I have two rears that look like they didn't clean. I think someone did a hardcore cleaning on the interior not long before I got it, but I'm hoping to find decent gray floor mats for less than $50...otherwise I'll just save my pennies and go for a set of Lloyds.

That's a pretty ride. I'm assuming it has a 3800 V6 under the hood. That's a super dependable engine that'll go forever if you give it a little love. It's fairly easy to work on and parts are plentiful and cheap.

• 2 weeks later...