91 Regal Coupe 3.1 running cool but new thermostat changed nothing.......any ideas?

Dinsdale

Hi all!

As in the title, the on-the-road running temperature never gets above about 50 on the guage. The guage seems to work fine because when the car is standing and the engine running, the temperature reaches just under 100 and the electric cooling fan cuts in.

I'm baffled on this one :).

Do you have any way to confirm the temperature? Infrared thermometer? Scan tool? Or something else? Since the fan will cut on if you let it idle/stand long enough, I would assume everything is alright, but the gauge on the instrument panel might not be reading quite right anymore.

Thanks for the advice1

I'll figure some way of of checking the coolant temperature. Might have to go to a professional for that, rather than buy equipment.

Infrared thermometers are cheap on ebay. Even the cheapest of cheap ones are accurate enough for checking coolant temperature and a lot of other things. Not sure what shipping would be for you from China, but they ship to the US for very low prices(and it's reasonably quick as well).

Infrared thermometers are cheap on ebay. Even the cheapest of cheap ones are accurate enough for checking coolant temperature and a lot of other things. Not sure what shipping would be for you from China, but they ship to the US for very low prices(and it's reasonably quick as well).

Thanks very much for the tip. I just bought one for GB 9.99 and a pound for delivery to Poland. The guy has sold 1,500 of them with no complaints!

Being that he is in Europe, could his gauge be in Celsius and not Fahrenheit?

I think this is the case, the lowest number on the guage being 40 and the red starting at 100. We don't know the full history of the car, and I don't know what the differences between US and European market models were.

The infrared temperature guage should arrive soon, so I'll report back as and when I have some news.