Seatbelt tension

GnatGoSplat

Car is a 94 Cutlass convertible.

The seatbelt tension on the front seatbelt is pretty bad. It doesn't really want to retract without help. Has anyone ever tried increasing tension on the clockspring that controls seatbelt tension? I've heard stories that removing the cover to the clockspring makes the whole thing pop out and need to be rewound. I guess that's why it says: "CAUTION: DO NOT REMOVE" on the cover. However, they must wind them up some way at the factory. Any thoughts? I think a new seatbelt is a few hundred dollars, assuming it's even still available. So if it's possible to increase tension, that's definitely preferable.

The manual says its serviced as a complete unit. Maybe play around with a junkyard unit first, I can check one out tomorrow and see if tightening is possible or take the cover off and see what tiny parts fly out into oblivion.

I do happen to have an extra one. There's a sticker on the cover I took off, but I can't tell if it's possible to wind it any tighter. Guess I'll have to try taking the cover off, but was curious if anyone's tried it before. If you do get around to trying it before I do, be sure to wear some kind of safety glasses because I've heard that spring flies out all over the place.

On my 94 'vert I have bad tension. The belt goes back in, but it is slow. I have messed around with junkyard belts and I can never get them to get anymore tension, not to mention you lose the spring about half the time.

I think the problem is the mechanicals are just worn out from use.

I looked under the sticker on my spare seatbelt assembly. It looks like if I take that cover off, it's sure to pop out and go all over the place. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we have a removable tensioner module like Mustangs do. Looks like our spring must be pre-wound at the factory on some jig and it's pushed onto a slotted shaft during assembly. Maybe if the cover can just be lifted a little bit, just enough that the spring comes out of the slot a little bit, but not enough that it unwinds itself, I could grab it with pliers, then lift it off the shaft and attempt to manually wind it more. Then when it's wound tighter, I'd have to get the spring aligned with the slot and push it all back together. Lots of room for something to go wrong, though.