power steering pump

nystargazer

hello,I need to replace the power steering pump on my 98 olds intrigue. is there enough room to remove the pump from the engine compartment? it looks like a tight fit. the only to remove it is up and out and i can not tell if there is enough room.thanks

If you need to swap the pulley to the new pump its easier to remove with the pump still bolted up. Its a different engine than my 3100 so I'm not sure if the same applies to yours. But I usually move my coolant reservoir out of the way for extra room.

i was hoping that someone had done a ps pump on a 98 intrigue and could tell me if i can get the pump out. i spent about a month fixing electrical problems got everything done except my left turn signal keeps blowing out. the bulb gets hot and the plastic part melts. i ordered led bulbs so i hope that takes care of it. i also have the hard start when the car is hot, going to replace the fuel pressure regulator and i hope that will take care of it. it's a nice car but geeze there seems to be a lot of problems.

Well of course the pump comes out, the engine is probably a L32 3.8 N/A V6 so . If you keep blowing bulbs then there is a reason for it, new one will only Band-Aid the issue. Before changing the regulator, test the fuel pressure. You ought to look into a repair manual for your car if you run into lots of problems.

My Haynes manual is falling apart but has info for the 3.8 found in you car. I typically use a hand pump to get most of the fluid out of the reservoir.

Disconnect negative battery cable

Remove coolant reservoir if needed

Models with 3800 remove ECM cover(that's the computer cover)

Remove drive belt

drain pan or rags at the ready

Disconnect pressure hose from pump, you've got two one return, one feed .note the locations if both look identical

Unbolt pump, you might need an extension or deepwell socket to react through the pulley to get at the bolts 3x

Lift pump out

Installation is reverse then you need to bleed the system.

System bleeding:

Following any operation where the PS fluid line are disconnected you need to bleed the system. Also this does not mention having the front wheels in the air so I don't believe you need to raise the car.

Wheels turned all the way to the left

Check fluid, add if needed to bring to COLD mark

Start engine and allow for a fast idle(unplugged the PCV in the front valve cover for a bit while doing this.)

Recheck fluid add if needed

With the engine running turn the wheels from side to side with out hitting the stops, meaning don't turn it all the way to the extent of travel, this works the air out of the system.

Do this for a few seconds and check the level again, always keeping it to the cold mark. If you see that the fluid isn't going down anymore as you move the wheels then the air is probably worked out, re cap the pump and you need to point the wheels straight ahead while letting the engine idle for a few minutes

you are ready for a test drive.

there is no way to get it out thru the wheel well, this is the problem i don't know if i can get it out i will try to take a picture so you can see what i am talking about

Really? I'm not doubting you as I'm not very familiar with the Intrigue, but it was my understanding that all the 3800 W's were best done that way. I've had mine out of the Monte before, as well as doing a 2000+ Impala before too, and both came out via the wheel well with the passenger tire removed.

well.. i just cant see how i could get it out thru the wheel well. rite under the pump is the oil filter and to the right is the crank pulley.

there is about 3" of clearance from the crank pulley to the frame. i can not get it past the crank pulley.there must be a way to get it out.

anyway, i do appericate the help. the engine is a 3800 S11 if that helps any.

i was talking to a guy on another website he said he was able to get the pump out of his 98 intrigue by removing the pump pulley and idler pulley and moving the fuse box. this gave him enough room to take it out thru the top of the engine compartment. so it looks like it can be done.