Amazon...

cutlasssupremepizza

Anyone use them for car parts?

I didn't even realise the amount of shit they carry. They are usually about the same price as Rock Auto but with the prime membership I get stuff shipped free in 2 days.

I kind of hate not supporting my local parts stores, but when I find myself getting stuff online for 40-70% off their prices, it's hard not to.

I often use RockAuto, or NallyGMC to find a part number, then buy the OEM part from Amazon. :)

I find that they often have a much better price, and much faster delivery.

Amazon is also great for aftermarket parts!

Again, I use Rockauto, Autozone, Summit, or Jegs to find the part number (like brake pads), then search for it on Amazon.

For me, Amazon is my main source of new car parts. Has been for many years.

Amazon RULES! :)

(Well, other than their POS Firephone. Imho, seems like they hired the moron Windows8 GUI (Graphic User Interface) designers. Great product (specs/abilities), made worthless by putting on a massive POS SUPER MORONIC GUI!)

Edited by Cutlass350

I often use RockAuto to find a part number, then buy the OEM part from Amazon. :)

I find that they often have a much better price, and much faster delivery.

I do exactly this. The deal is that I get the majority of my parts online, and like OP, as much as I'd like to support my local parts stores (I work at the local Auto Value on Saturdays as a parts bitch), with a family to support and a mortgage, I have to make my dollar count. I find that Amazon has a better deal on parts about 60-70% off the time, whereas even with shipping, Rockauto will often have a better deal. So, it's a split for me depending on what I'm buying. I also have prime (godsend for all the cartoons for the kiddos) so 2 day shipping is pretty sweet. Although RA can have fast shipping depending on how far you are from the nearest warehouse. For example, I am about 300 miles from the Mason City, IA warehouse and have received things sometimes as quick as a day or two for regular shipping prices. But to answer OP directly, yes, Amazon is pretty awesome for auto parts.

Edited by carkhz316

I find Rockauto is usually cheaper than Amazon after all is said and done, and I'd rather support Rockauto than Amazon as a company as they provide that incredibly useful website.

The local parts stores seem to have quite snarky staff, so I don't worry too much about cutting them out of most of my more expensive maintenance-item purchases.

I gave up on my local parts store when they told me that gm never put a manual tranny in a w body. Especially in s cutlass supreme let alone on the 3.4 dohc that only came matted to an automatic. Even after me proving it to them. They stand by the fact that someone customized it to have a 5spd.

Was the last time I stepped foot in their door.

I used rock auto pretty much exclusively now.

I gave up on my local parts store when they told me that gm never put a manual tranny in a w body. Especially in s cutlass supreme let alone on the 3.4 dohc that only came matted to an automatic. Even after me proving it to them. They stand by the fact that someone customized it to have a 5spd.

Was the last time I stepped foot in their door.

I used rock auto pretty much exclusively now.

Lol, what? Even our small regional chain store computer system has a prompt and section for clutches/ manual trans stuff for these cars and even others that don't even have a manual trans. While I've found there isn't much for our 284's, we can still get some stuff. Must have been an O'reilly's or something that gave you a hard time.:lol:

It's actually parts city. I have since found out most of their stuff comes from Oreillys. But they have their own computer look up system. Apparently it's a craptastic system. lol.

All Parts Citys are just non-franchise/ store owner-owned (or whatever you'd call it) stores. All your parts in that store come out of the Oreillys distribution center in Brooklyn Park, MN

I've bought a rear hub and PMIII accumulator from Amazon before. I mostly buy from eBay though, they're usually the cheapest.

Gates radiator hoses from eBay were half the price O'Reilly wanted for them.

I'm at O'Reillys mercy if I need the car fixed fast though.

If it's something I can wait a couple days for Prime shipping to get it here, I'll order off Amazon. Bought gaskets for my L36 replacement off there since they had the best price with the free 2 day shipping vs RockAuto + whatever shipping would be there. If I do need something now, I usually go to Advance or Napa... though particularly with Advance I use their 'buy online, pick up in store' since I often get online order discount codes from them that make the prices almost as good.

I've bought a rear hub and PMIII accumulator from Amazon before. I mostly buy from eBay though, they're usually the cheapest.

Gates radiator hoses from eBay were half the price O'Reilly wanted for them.

I'm at O'Reillys mercy if I need the car fixed fast though.

Not sure if you have an Advance Auto in Kansas Shawn, but you might want to start pricing items through them with their coupons. I don't think w/ a coupon something like a hub from them can be beat. Lower dollar items probably can be had on ebay for cheaper quite regularly though. They always have a 30% off coupon working(up to a max amount, so some of the other coupons often result in a little better savings vs. this one). . Then there's quite regularly a working $20 off $50, $40 off $100 and a few in between those price ranges. If it's something I don't need right away, I'll check part stores, amazon, rockauto, and ebay. Besides those, I've ordered from OEM direct type part sites.

edit: When parts shopping, also take a look at warranties. Sometimes part stores offer lifetime while other places will list as 1yr or less for the same exact thing. If it's $10 more through the parts store for something that will eventually wear out, it's probably worth the lifetime warranty. Fun fact: Advance auto seemed to purge all of it's old warranty info around 2005 with a system update. I'm betting they did this purposely. I don't know if it was nationwide or what, but I know they had no records prior to the current date after that point. I have still made them honor warranties older than that because I keep receipts. I need to sit down one day and scan the rest of my receipts before the ink wears off. I'm the king of making places honor warranties. :lol: I have receipts for every car part with a warranty that I've purchased since 2001. Autozone still seems to be great about keeping user info. I have records dating back to 2001 with them that they can pull up via my old phone numbers. They can also search them out in other ways if you've forgotten phone numbers.

Edited by mfewtrail

Nah, no Advance Auto here (Missouri), nearest one is 70-miles away in Arkansas. We used to have some years ago, was Western Auto in the 80s and 90s, became Parts America in the late 90s, then turned into Advance Auto in the early 2000s, then they all shut down completely. We have 1 Pep Boys and a few Autozones, but they're all about a 20-30 minute drive each direction. O'Reilly is everywhere, there's one on my drive home from work and one just a few miles from my house. O'Reilly is headquartered here so there are almost as many O'Reilly stores here as there are churches. My wife got a job offer from O'Reilly HQ, but she turned it down. Kind of wish she didn't, because their employee discount is really good.