Hello all from the deep south

brian.burcham@gmail.com

Hello all:

My father bought a new Lumina LS in 1995. Has babied that car. It is the 3.4 DOHC. All that power and I don't think the car has ever been driven above 80! He gave it to my son this year. 101K miles, interior like new. Everything major had been changed or replaced on the car except the water pump. Which froze up a couple of weeks ago. I changed that no problem and then discovered a coolant leak in the intake gasket. Now I am fixing to start on that. I would assume that other DOHC owners have replaced the intake gasket. From the manual it looks straight forward enough. I am wondering are there any hidden gotchas or special tools I would need for the repair?

BTW I own a 1994 "F body" firebird. 3.4 push rod. Rock solid at 230K miles. Does not leak a drop of anything! Too bad the same can't be said of the lumina.. :)

Hope to hear from some of yall.

Brian

brian.burcham@gmail.com

Hello all:

My father bought a new Lumina LS in 1995. Has babied that car. It is the 3.4 DOHC. All that power and I don't think the car has ever been driven above 80! He gave it to my son this year. 101K miles, interior like new. Everything major had been changed or replaced on the car except the water pump. Which froze up a couple of weeks ago. I changed that no problem and then discovered a coolant leak in the intake gasket. Now I am fixing to start on that. I would assume that other DOHC owners have replaced the intake gasket. From the manual it looks straight forward enough. I am wondering are there any hidden gotchas or special tools I would need for the repair?

BTW I own a 1994 "F body" firebird. 3.4 push rod. Rock solid at 230K miles. Does not leak a drop of anything! Too bad the same can't be said of the lumina.. :)

Brian

brian.burcham@gmail.com

When you say ":the deep south" are you implying hell like on Little Nicky??

A few fairly minor things...

Be careful of the EGR tube. It's way too easy to bend and crack the tube, and they're almost impossible to find.

And....replace the injector "O" rings while you've pulled the fuel rails and injectors. Cheap insurance against vacuum leaks, and they've probably gone fairly hard by now.

Careful that you don't overtighten the plenum bolts, the 7 that hold the plenum on the intake. I have an inch-pound torque wrench I use, because it's really easy to strip the threads, since the bolts are threaded in the aluminum intake.

Beyond that, the hardest part is getting that *$@#*&%$# short heater hose reconnected between the throttle body, and the hard line. I find that LONG double jointed needle nose pliers, and one of the factory type clamps work well in putting that back together. I usually use a standard worm gear clamp on the throttle body end, and the "squeeze" type clamps for the lower connection.

And, while we're on the subject of coolant to the throttle body, don't forget to install the stupid washer that goes underneath the plenum at the throttle body.

Hello all:

Brian

brian.burcham@gmail.com

Edited by Galaxie500XL