NEED HELP WITH FUEL PUMP 1991 regal gs

thekrazykat

NEED HELP.

Cannot get this car started.

1991 regal 3.8l 200k miles

I changed my fuel pump as it died last week.

Found the fuse to be blown as well- changed that.

I hear the fuel pump relay click. I get power to the relay.

but the pump does not want to turn on.

When I connect a 12v supply to the pump, it turns on and the car runs.

where is the problem? a short? from the relay to the pump???

thanks for suggestions.

First Gens had insufficient gauge wire run from the relay to the pump, as the wire ages and degrades it becomes incapable of carrying the load to run a fuel pump. Try ghetto-running a new length of wire dangled under the car and see if that helps, then do it nicely.

Did you replace the harness from the hanger to the pump? Typically about $20. The in-tank harness corrodes just like the wires outside the tank.

In this case, since you can jump the pump, the wires in the tank may not be horrible.

Beyond that, the whole wire harness is suspect, from the battery to the fuse, to the relay, and to the oil pressure switch, to the pump. Even if the relay clicks...that doesn't mean it has main power input; or that the internal contacts aren't burnt and no longer conductive. You'll just need to test for voltage "everywhere" and see what's bad.

The biggest voltage drop is between the relay and pump assembly plug.

Not if he has a broken wire somewhere. Otherwise, yes, you're correct.

The popped fuel pump fuse makes me suspicious of a broken or bare wire having touched ground somewhere.

thanks for your help.

will try taking a wire from the relay to the pump.

there is a gray wire by the relay and gray wire by the pump.

does the wiring go straight from the relay to the pump, or are there any other connections i should be concerned about?

thanks

All the connectors are detailed in the service manual for the vehicle. There are likely two or three connectors between the relay and the pump. If this was me, I'd be checking for voltage at the connector in the trunk area, WITH THE PUMP RUNNING if possible. There may be another connector under the car.

I had all this crap apart on my '92 Lumina, but it's been a while and I don't remember it very well.

The Gray wire runs from the relay to the pump, but there is a tap that goes to the oil pressure switch, (the oil pressure switch can enable the fuel pump too) All you need to try is running from the gray wire on the relay to the gray wire on the pump.