WTH kind of a disign is this? Front lug Stud.

Deacon

A while ago I broke the lug stud off the front of my '95 GP while trying to remove a rusted on nut.

Yesterday, I decided to replace it. No problem I thought. Got out the trusty mallet and out it came, very easily.

That should have been my first warning. :thinking:

As I tried to put the new stud in, I discovered that there is not enough clearance between the hub and the knuckle. :bang:

Of course I've checked all around the knuckle, but to know avail.

So how has anyone here remedied this situation?

0a5f8a354131925.jpg

On my 91 GP I replaced a few studs but I dont remember if I removed the Hub or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.

The easiest way to put the new stud on it just tighten its down with a lug nut. I put a bit a of grease at the end of the stud.

I gotta do this with mine. I had no stud for a few years, put one in a few months ago but it's too short with my spacers, so I have to tap it out hopefully without messing it up. I may take the hub off anyway to make sure I dont'

If you use standard-length studs, the hub does have to come off. They actually did, at one point, have a separate part # for shorter studs designed to be installable without pulling the hub. I never liked the shorties so I always removed the hub. I also felt more comfortable banging on the hub with it off the car.

Since you already have the old one pounded out, you could probably just remove the 4-bolts holding the hub on. It should pull out far enough for you to get that stud in there. Although as rusty as that looks, removing those 4-bolts might be an ordeal.

Standard length studs should not require removing the hub. As shown in the pictures above, the bottom of the hub has a cutout for exactly this purpose. It gives enough clearance for stock length studs to be installed and removed. Longer studs will require the hub to be removed.

I'm aware of the cutout. It does not give enough clearance for stock length studs. If you look carefully at Deacon's pic, you will see he has the back of the stud resting against the knuckle.

I've never had to hit mine with anything...I just use a "c" clamp, and a deep socket to protect the threads for installation, then tighten the wheel. To press them out, I use a big socket on the back side of the hub large enough to surround the old lug, then press them out with the clamp.

If you use standard-length studs, the hub does have to come off. They actually did, at one point, have a separate part # for shorter studs designed to be installable without pulling the hub. I never liked the shorties so I always removed the hub. I also felt more comfortable banging on the hub with it off the car.

Since you already have the old one pounded out, you could probably just remove the 4-bolts holding the hub on. It should pull out far enough for you to get that stud in there. Although as rusty as that looks, removing those 4-bolts might be an ordeal.

I remeber now and you are correct about the shorter studs. The factory ones will not fit with the HUB on.

So I decided to take my beast to a local Belle Tire and let them deal with this problem.

Lo and behold the tech. ran into the exact same problem. H ended up having to take the entire wheel hub off, put the stud in place and then put the hub back on.

It cost me $42, but at least I know I wasn't the only one that had this problem. It's probably the stupidest thing I have ever had to spend money on for my car because I really should have and could have done this myself.

As I mentioned before, they do have shorter length studs available that make it so you don't have to pull the hubs.

Just checked O'Reilly and they sell both lengths. Dorman 610-254 are OEM length 41.50mm, and Dorman 610-324 are replacement length 34.50mm.

Although I'd agree they should have put an access hole or recess in the knuckle to facilitate installing full-length studs.

Over half of my studs broke on me when I first got the car, theorized the previous owner didn't know what a torque wrench was. Anyway I replaced them with no problem (clamp method) and they are all the same length as the originals. It's possible the parts store gave me shorties, but why would they be the same length?

So I decided to take my beast to a local Belle Tire and let them deal with this problem.

Lo and behold the tech. ran into the exact same problem. H ended up having to take the entire wheel hub off, put the stud in place and then put the hub back on.

It cost me $42, but at least I know I wasn't the only one that had this problem. It's probably the stupidest thing I have ever had to spend money on for my car because I really should have and could have done this myself.

Don't worry, it's a W, there will be more stupid things to spend money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

a 96 regal had different studs than all 88-95 W-bodies. all 96+ have a tapered tip, whereas 95- are a solid threaded lug to the end. they are about the same length, but the tapered tip would allow the stud to slip in place easier as it is narrower for the first portion of its length before threads start.