fuel injector seal rings (caps)

Chris2012

4 fell off presumably upon removal of the injectors. Little black pastic sleeves or open caps that snap on the end of the injector. Will these just burn up or gum up my cylinders?

Are they necessary for proper operation of the injectors? Or is the o ring all that's needed?

You can't seem to buy them anywhere. Would some rtv make up the difference? If so what type? I have red on hand.

2001 3.4L. Thanks in advance.

Personally I would be a bit concerned about chucks of plastic entering through the intake. Pintle caps can be purchased on E-Bay and other places online. You need to identify the injectors first before you can start looking for pintle caps or any other part though.

Realistically ot may be faster and easier to grab 4 injectors with caps installed from a wrecking yard car ...

Personally I would be a bit concerned about chucks of plastic entering through the intake

what would you suggest? I'm not taking the lower manifold off now. Nuh uh, no way.

Is my engine a goner?

I guess that depends, did they JUST fall off and you know they're intact? Or were they missing and you just discovered it.

If you know they just fell off perhaps get creative and try to fish them out. I lost a hunk of masking tape in a water passage one time (BTW 3800 Knock sensor holes open right into a coolant passage) and used a shop-vac to fish around. I took a paint cap and drilled a hole in it big enough to put a piece of 1/4" tubing snugly into and stuck it to the vacuum hose.

It was hokey, but it worked.

If they've been gone for a long time then whatever damage they would do is already done, if any.