CS 130 Alternator Upgrade For Early W's

George

For those of us that don't have the option of installing a CS 144 without an engine swap this may be the next best thing.

i just got of the phone with Brady, a tech with Powermaster Performance. He said they don't make a factory replacement, but offer two upgrades.

The all new alternators are a direct replacement that use 1 internal and 1 external metal cooling fan (not a plastic fan like the factory CS 130).

Option #1 p/n 7860 80amps @ 800rpm with factory pulleys, 105 amps Max - $149.97 at Summit Racing.

Option #2 p/n 47460 95amps @ 800rpm w/ factory pulleys, 140 amps Max - $ 185.97 at Summit Racing.

These may be cheaper elsewhere, I haven't checked yet, but wanted to post what I found.

i will be replacing my alt. soon, hopefully before it fails, more than likely with option #2.

IIRC, the 3.1 CS130 is already a 100 amp unit(no idea of output near idle speed) and the 3.4 CS130 is a 105 amp unit.

i've never seen a plastic fan on them either. maybe i've been around too many CS130Ds to remember the CS130 correctly?

Thank you, Steve, it's nice to see they have CS 144 alternators that fit the CS 130 mounting.

It also brings to my attention that I am in the transition years and need to look to see if I have the CS 130 or the "D" version.

i was hoping to find something better then the questionable generic over the counter replacement that may or may not last 6 months.

I presume that these DO NOT fit the 3.4. I don't expect that they have provision for the rear duct.

Even Delphi couldn't provide a proper alternator case for my 3.4s. What showed in the catalog as being correct was absolutely the wrong part when I opened the box.

Also, note metal fans on both units.

Lumina_Alternator_01.jpg

Lumina_Alternator_03.JPG

Edited by Schurkey

Same here...my car was missing the duct when I bought it 5 years ago--no idea how long it was missing before I bought it. I've put 50,000 miles on it myself since buying it in 2009.

I haven't ran a duct on my 2 z34s for probably 10 years or more, I haven't really been through many alternators either.