Would you replace an OEM battery as a function of years under the hood?

GM-midsize-guy

My 2008 Buick LaCrosse CX with a 3800 V6 has its original battery. It is approaching 7 years as OEM. The driver information center mostly gives me a reading of 14.2 to 14.4 volts, which is good.

So here's the question. After passing the 7 year mark, and even if it's giving good voltage readings, would you just replace it prior to a long distance interstate trip / possible relocation? One could argue that the long road trip will keep it charged and it shouldn't fail en route. One could also argue that it's better to just do it once you've hit 7+ years to avoid surprises.

On my last car, another W body, the original battery went for about 8 years and 2 months ... and then KAPUT.

What would you do? Also, would you just go to the dealership when they have a coupon or a special and get the AC-Delco battery with the most cold cranking amps for that model?

Over the past 35 years or so I've been driving, my experience is you'll most likely discover a problem on a cold day--say temps below 40 degrees.

I'd go ahead and replace it, out of an abundance of caution.

I ended up changing the battery on my 06 grand prix gxp this year because my car would start slowly when I would start my car on every cold start and my voltage was around the same as yours.

voltage while running is much more a function of the charging system rather than the battery...

at 7 years, i would expect that a lot of batteries would have failed by the 5 year mark going off of what i see locally. i would have replaced it 2 years before then.

if you really want to know, there are battery testers that basically use the battery to power a heater grid for a short period of time to see how many amps it will still put out, i would say that if you fall below the 300 amp range, prepare to replace the battery much sooner than later.

you can also carry around a fully charged jumper pack if you really want to scrub out the last couple of start cycles that the battery will give.

Over the past 35 years or so I've been driving, my experience is you'll most likely discover a problem on a cold day--say temps below 40 degrees.

I'd go ahead and replace it, out of an abundance of caution.

X2, if one of mine has an iffy battery going into winter I replace it. Of course you may not see the cold temps that we do here either, which may account for your good fortune with them.

Alternatively you could carry a bunch of coconuts and sticks so in an emergency you could fashion that thing the Professor used to generate power on Gilligan's Island... but a new battery may be more efficient in the end.

It's getting colder so its that time when any problems on your car will start to show itself. I think a long road trip you'll be fine getting there, however I'd change it before winter sets in. Save yourself a headache, cause we all know when your battery dies it will be somewhere painfully inconvenient.

X2, if one of mine has an iffy battery going into winter I replace it. Of course you may not see the cold temps that we do here either, which may account for your good fortune with them.

Alternatively you could carry a bunch of coconuts and sticks so in an emergency you could fashion that thing the Professor used to generate power on Gilligan's Island... but a new battery may be more efficient in the end.

No, not too terribly cold here. The Gilligan's Island comment is funny.

I think I will go ahead and replace it soon.

Thanks for all the input supporting that decision.

if you really want to know, there are battery testers that basically use the battery to power a heater grid for a short period of time to see how many amps it will still put out, i would say that if you fall below the 300 amp range, prepare to replace the battery much sooner than later.

Fully charge battery, then allow it to stabilize for an hour or more. Battery voltage should be 12.6--12.7. Find whatever the CCA rating of the battery is. Divide the CCA by 2. Use the load tester to pull that many amps from the battery for fifteen seconds. Note the starting and ending voltage, and also the battery temperature.

Assume a 650 CCA battery. Use load tester to pull 650/2=325 amps for fifteen seconds. Ending battery voltage should be at least 9.6 at 70 degrees F., higher is better, and actual specs depend on the beginning temperature of the battery.

First Guess: A seven-year-old battery will be nowhere near it's original capacity. Time to replace.

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20140918&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=208.107.117.108&pvaid=bf69553f28b24104a09bb4f0a3871a40&dt=Desktop&fct.uid=bfb576802f304f5898dacf1d40c00f1c&en=0WEFU%2fZhSoQrR2QhC9ngyiLWjD1jFApuD%2bA8y%2fAiIz1wW%2fgzy%2bNk0g%3d%3d&du=www.mcicoach.com%2ffyiFromMci%2fmaintMatters%2f1110.pdf&ru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.mcicoach.com%2ffyiFromMci%2fmaintMatters%2f1110.pdf&ap=9&coi=771&cop=main-title&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&ep=9&mid=9&hash=B99A3AFBF3D06E4BF28E93AFB1C0BA64

Batteries can fail any time at any age. Since you're worried enough about it to make a post, I'd say go ahead and replace it. Although I personally tend to throw caution to the wind and just replace stuff when they're bad, not just because they're just old. That's about as wild as my wild side gets.