Once more...into the breech. Passenger door problems.

Deacon

So I finally felt froggy this weekend and decided to take off the interior door panel of my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE while the door was still closed. That was fun. :mad:

After playing around for a while with the inner and outer rods to open the door I discovered that I need a new latch/lock assembly, a new exterior door handle rod and just to even things out a new exterior door handle.

BTW, I have electrics locks and windows.

My first question is, is there a way to take out the inner metal skin from the outer metal skin so I can get to the inner workings of the door easier?

I was taking a closer look and it appears that the two are welded together. I already know that I'm going to have to remove the seat belt assembly.

Tanks for any info in advance.

Edited by Deacon

I went to a local JY and asked for a 94 -96 door latch. This is what I got and it's a good thing too, it tells me what I'm up against and what I gotta do.

8e6dce352747191.jpg 617adf352747198.jpg

So, once I get the latch out, what would you say is the best way to clean up the parts?

I was thinking brake cleaner, due to the pressure coming out and the cleaner it's self. I don't' want to use water for obvious reasons even if I'm gonna lube is up afterwards.

If it were mine I would clean it off using brushes, rags and a spray lube like WD-40.

You have plastic, rubber and electric solenoid that solvents might mess up.

Edit: Thanks for posting the pictures.

Edited by ron350

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weekends ago I felt froggy and decided to get in and replace the handle and latch to my passenger side door.

The problem ended up being the latch assembly and not the handle or levers.

Here are some pics close up of the old part.

ee64c8356354181.jpg

712c3c356354203.jpg

ea6248356354232.jpg

I believe this is of the new part, but I'm not sure. I just can't remember now. :roll:

Nope, now I remember, below is a pic of the old latch assembly I took out.

7f2cdc356354270.jpg

Here is a pick of the 2 parts side by side. The new part is at the top. It came from a 96 GP. Note the additional tail from the latch assembly. I didn't end up using it as I had nothing to connect it to in my car. :think:

e87b43356355484.jpg

And Finally, the finished product all installed and working like it should.

f3703f356354334.jpg

It only took me about 4 hours to take everything out and put it all together. Mostly because I was working in the drive way and most of the time I was working in the dark with only a hand held work light. :lol:

Edited by Deacon

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced the door handle on my car, and noticed that when I close it, it's alway's ajar unless I slam it. I oiled the hell out of the striker and latch, still no luck.