1994 3.4 rev'd engine in park

Mstg007

I just got home. Put the car in park and instead of idling normally. It rev'd up to 2k. I then put it in drive and it went to normal. I then moved it to park and it rev'd up to 3k. This time I just turned off the car. Any ideas?

Vacuum leak or lower intake gaskets. Let it sit over night, then do a cold start in the morning. If the engine surges, its the LIM

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Its a good weekend job for a 3100 so maybe add a day or so to the 3.4 LQ1 LIM job. When I changed mine out there was obvious leaking going on at the TB side valley but it ended up being the O-ring around the oil pump shaft. So when I did get the LIM off it was actually an internal failure and I don't believe it would have any external indications other than a really piss poor idle and power then the "stumbling" on acceleration. Was loosing coolant as well and I had assumed it was the head gaskets so I changed those as well. Its just another couple of torque to yield bolts and that's it unless you need to get them machined. I didn't need to and if the engine hasn't been abused and well maintained(no overheating or running hot issues) then there is a good chance machining will not be required.

I've seen bad TPS do that, too...but usually if that's the case, you'll usually find after a restart things seem normal again--until they aren't.:lol:

Its a good weekend job for a 3100 so maybe add a day or so to the 3.4 LQ1 LIM job. When I changed mine out there was obvious leaking going on at the TB side valley but it ended up being the O-ring around the oil pump shaft. So when I did get the LIM off it was actually an internal failure and I don't believe it would have any external indications other than a really piss poor idle and power then the "stumbling" on acceleration. Was loosing coolant as well and I had assumed it was the head gaskets so I changed those as well. Its just another couple of torque to yield bolts and that's it unless you need to get them machined. I didn't need to and if the engine hasn't been abused and well maintained(no overheating or running hot issues) then there is a good chance machining will not be required.

You mean if it has a 3800. The LQ1 has really easy LIMG's. The hardest part is attaching the coolant line that under the TB.

I did my job in 45 minutes, but I got complicated with the fact that no one told me to change the "o" ring under the tb as well.

You mean if it has a 3800. The LQ1 has really easy LIMG's. The hardest part is attaching the coolant line that under the TB.

I did my job in 45 minutes, but I got complicated with the fact that no one told me to change the "o" ring under the tb as well.

3800s lims are easy as hell, I swapped 3 sets on mine lol. Bout 20-30 mins for me, figure an hr for someone else on a 3800

Vacuum leak or lower intake gaskets. Let it sit over night, then do a cold start in the morning. If the engine surges, its the LIM

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Sorry for for not getting back to you. Buzy. Anyways, I did a cold start yesterday and it did not do it. So I am to guess its a vaccum leak of some sort...

Really? I figured you`d have to do cam stuff with the LQ1, Ive never had the (mis)fortune of working on one yet. Same case with the 3800 too? Took me a few days but I always end up doing other stuff than my original goal. If its that easy its Saturday pull that thing apart and change those gaskets.

Sorry for for not getting back to you. Buzy. Anyways, I did a cold start yesterday and it did not do it. So I am to guess its a vaccum leak of some sort...

You can spray some starting fluid around suspected vacuum leak areas and this will make the engine slightly rev if you find it.

3800s lims are easy as hell, I swapped 3 sets on mine lol. Bout 20-30 mins for me, figure an hr for someone else on a 3800

Try doing them on a 3800 Camaro :biggrin::biggrin: