4T60 VS 4T65

Nas Escobar

Has anyone ever tried to upgrade the 4T60E to a 4T65E while keeping the twin cam?

I ask because of my issues with my 60 have been brought to the conclusion that I need a trans rebuild, but the fuckers in my area want $2000 for a build... so while the 60 is hard to find in my local yards, the 65 is as common as the "Smith" last name.

So I came to wonder... can it be done with a twin cam on a 1G using the same way people do it when they upgrade to a 3800?

As always, help is appreciated.

Has anyone ever tried to upgrade the 4T60E to a 4T65E while keeping the twin cam?

I ask because of my issues with my 60 have been brought to the conclusion that I need a trans rebuild, but the fuckers in my area want $2000 for a build... so while the 60 is hard to find in my local yards, the 65 is as common as the "Smith" last name.

So I came to wonder... can it be done with a twin cam on a 1G using the same way people do it when they upgrade to a 3800?

As always, help is appreciated.

Use a harness/trans/pcm from a 98 monte z34

Use a harness/trans/pcm from a 98 monte z34

That's what I was thinking, but idk how the gears would work out. I know they say the 3.1, 3.8 and 3.4 tdc cars were geared different.

I've thought about getting a Monte donor car and fully swapping all electronics, even if the pcm thought the CSC was a Z34

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, but idk how the gears would work out. I know they say the 3.1, 3.8 and 3.4 tdc cars were geared different.

I've thought about getting a Monte donor car and fully swapping all electronics, even if the pcm thought the CSC was a Z34

Yeah thats why you use the 97 z34 trans also. I THINK 97 z34s had 3.43s.

Yeah thats why you use the 97 z34 trans also. I THINK 97 z34s had 3.43s.

So the 97 Z34 had a tdc and a 65?

That's interesting. There's no way to revert it to obd1 though? My car is the oddball odb1 stuff but odb2 codes

That's interesting. There's no way to revert it to obd1 though? My car is the oddball odb1 stuff but odb2 codes

Mebbe go ahead and obd2 convert. Harness, nss, and pcm are the main things you need

Mebbe go ahead and obd2 convert. Harness, nss, and pcm are the main things you need

I won't be doing the trans install so idk if that will freak the person out

I won't be doing the trans install so idk if that will freak the person out

Mebbe print out that obd2 conversion thread and my 4t65 swap thread for him?

Mebbe print out that obd2 conversion thread and my 4t65 swap thread for him?

I'll look into that tomorrow

If you still need to roll around with your current trans try some stuff from AZ or advanced auto etc called TRANS-X made by two different letters(like W&T or something like that) Comes in a 10OZ? blue bottle and it revitalizes the inner seals. About $9 and it WORKS I have had not one issue of delayed engagement since using it.

Also I was talking with a few guys here awhile back and it was mentioned that a 93 or earlier PCM from a 3.4DOHC car has a removable PROM that can be rewritten to work with 1994 year. That's the route I plan on going rather than mix and match pcm years and models.

what needs reverted? the only thing the stock PCM can't directly interact with is the 4T65's pressure control solenoid(and input shaft speed sensor, should it be used). that's the only thing different electrically from a 4T65 and a later 4T60E(well, that and the 4T65 did away with the discrete TCC solenoid).

i've been working on setting up a common GM OBD1 ECM for use only as a transmission controller for quite some time, just haven't actually had the time/energy to work on it. everything GM that has 6 gears or less will be controllable.

Also I was talking with a few guys here awhile back and it was mentioned that a 93 or earlier PCM from a 3.4DOHC car has a removable PROM that can be rewritten to work with 1994 year. That's the route I plan on going rather than mix and match pcm years and models.

a 91-93 3.4 PCM is a 16149396, which is actually my main development PCM, i've patched in the ability to control the later 4T60E models at the expense of losing CCP control(i was planning on piggybacking the TCC circuit to turn it on and off since purge happening only when the TCC is locked actually works out well. this is assuming i don't come up with some other way of turning it on and off automatically).

what needs reverted? the only thing the stock PCM can't directly interact with is the 4T65's pressure control solenoid(and input shaft speed sensor, should it be used). that's the only thing different electrically from a 4T65 and a later 4T60E(well, that and the 4T65 did away with the discrete TCC solenoid).

So you're saying a 4T65E would be plug and play in a 94 Cutlass? I thought the plugs need to be obd 1 compatible.

if you want plug and play, grab the engine/trans/PCM/underhood harness from a 97 Z34. even then, there is still some rewiring of the C100 connector needed, but that is the simplest possible route electrically.

the 4T60 and 4T65 have different main connectors on them(4T60 is circular, has ~7 wires, 4T65 is squarish IIRC and has ~10 wires), so adapting the 4T65 to original harness would require splicing in that connector along with running a couple of new wires.