is Felpro gasket material suitable for an upper intake manifold?

Chris2012

Have to do the upper and lower, but not both right now. Just need to pop my plenum up and would like to avoid buying the whole set (80$). Is any of the material good for 1 - 6 months? I have some gray carboardy stuff from Pep Boys on hand, used it for a water pump a while back. Would that even suffice???

It should work just fine. Assuming you have a 60* motor where both the upper and lower are aluminum, then I don't see why it wouldn't work since the actual gaskets are just a paper/ fiber. Have fun cutting though!

if i were really in a pinch, the make-a-gasket stuff will work for a 3x00 UIM.... it's not like they pass coolant through them or anything, just air, EGR, CCP and PCV draw-through.

X2, just buy the plenum gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone

For a 3.4 '01 Venture? Please tell me where. 8, 15, 25$, no problem. I've only seen them in sets. There's cheapo sets for 40-50$, even Felpro at the high end. Seems wrong to waste that much just when you have to do it again.

if i were really in a pinch, the make-a-gasket stuff will work for a 3x00 UIM.... it's not like they pass coolant through them or anything, just air, EGR, CCP and PCV draw-through.

Actually there are coolant ducts on the 3.4 Ventures. And ... it seems Felpro actually does just supply upper gaskets. Durned why I didn't see them earlier.

A gentleman as usual RS.

For a 3.4 '01 Venture? Please tell me where. 8, 15, 25$, no problem. I've only seen them in sets. There's cheapo sets for 40-50$, even Felpro at the high end. Seems wrong to waste that much just when you have to do it again.

$8.99 @oreillys. 19cutlass94 has a similar vintage 3400 in his cutlass. i used to have an 02 3400 crate in my 97 monte

Actually there are coolant ducts on the 3.4 Ventures. And ... it seems Felpro actually does just supply upper gaskets. Durned why I didn't see them earlier.

A gentleman as usual RS.

the large-port UIM passes coolant through it? the LIM does, but i don't see where on the UIM.

http://wot-tech.com/images/manifolds/9499/sidebyside.jpg

http://wot-tech.com/images/manifolds/3400/Competition/Comp%20Series%20Upper%203.jpg

the throttle body has its own little coolant connection, but it doesn't transfer any liquid to the UIM from what i've seen either?

Maybe I mistook bolt holes for coolant ducts. Someone on a different forum said DON'T use anything but the ready made (nylon and silicon?) gaskets. Sai d if I mussed it up I could get coolant in my crank case. which already happened on account of a cracked pcv boot. That yellow gook. Was making a horrible noise for about 2 days, not exactly sure why. I attributed it to faulty evaporation. I've learned and am learning more about cars in the last year then the prior 30.

Anyway I need to find a replacement coolant pipe (that goes under the plenum), or use hose.watcha think of that idea?

And a round of thanks to all who let me know about the cheaper options. Wasn't dreading cutting the stuff, the little bolt/coolant? holes had me a little concerned though. I was thinking a just score them out with a very sharp X-acto blade.

6$ at Advance. And I have plans for those 2$ I saved so don't ask!

I think I'm just going to cut the pipe off at the thermostat end and run hose. It already uses a small length to join the bypass pipe and this thing, so I can't see the problem.