Car jerks at highway speeds

mikecoachusa

Sounds like a coil pack.or a icm. Mine would buck under load..changed.out coil packs and icm runs perfect...but I would check wires and plugs as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

coil paks were replaced 2 months ago, but the old ones were fine. i will try them again. ECM is new

I think you mean ICM. Anyway on my van, which has 2 crank sensors bucking could be a function of 1 (or both?). Not there yet ...

No white smoke out the tail?

Oh and don't rule out the computer, my 3.1 Lumina had been doing crazy dances until it wouldn't start altogether 1 day. I waited 6 weeks last year before replacing it, didn't even swap the prom - started right up. And despite receiving a message from God - I could tell the story - that it was the computer the day it died or the day after, I chose to keep troubleshooting. And learned tons in the process. Best not to ignore God's messages though LOL.

no white smoke.....what could be wrong with the crank sensors??

It's one of many possibilities. Some cars have 2, yours probably only 1. I was just putting it out there. if it gets progressively worse your chances of figuring out what it is will be greater, along with whatever knowledge you absorb, and your willingness to troubleshoot. Got a Haynes manual? Helped me narrow down to the problem when I was going through it (really had no way of knowing my problem was the computer until it died/wouldn't start, as I didn't have sophistcated test equipment hooked up to the car while it was operating. If it's just a relatively uncommon event, it's anybody's guess and only a guess.

Tune it up, plugs and wires, try some dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, air filter, have the throttle body cleaned. Could be a dirty sensor. Like I said I have an intermittent bucking problem in my van, much more severe then yours, when it decides it wants to be a dancing fool. One thing on the radar is a rely or solenoid in the tranny. But I say many prayers it has nothing to do wit. my tranny.

Glad to hear there's no white smoke, or any other color.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider changing the MAF. On my old '01 GP I'd be going down the highway and have the car make a "bang" type of noise. Turns out the car had a bad MAF. I had it confirmed by a dealer on a Tech 2 (local guy, treats me awesome) and swapped it and never had the issue again. There were some trips where it wouldn't do it and others where it'd do it a few times. You could almost say a jerk because it was like the car lot all power for a split second but could come right back up again.

Believe this is the problem and solution. will install new TPS soon

An intermittent chuggle or hesitation that can be felt during light acceleration or while cruising at highway speeds with no Check Engine light or no fault codes set may be caused by intermittent operation of the automatic transmission torque converter clutch (TCC). The problem is not the torque converter clutch or clutch solenoid, but a faulty input to the powertrain control module computer from the engine's throttle position (TPS) sensor. The fix for this problem is to replace the TPS sensor.