Electrical nightmare

Devon Lundgren

i recently bought a 03 buick regal and my whole dash has no power when its running. For example....my radio, locks, windows, blower, cruise cont., and i have to manualy unlock the shifter....heres the kicker everything works for a day or two and stops. I have been chasing wires and fixing what the previous owner did when they hacked out the remote starter. The only fuse that keeps blowing is the dimmer switch(found out is common issue) which is bad. i dont have anymore wires that i can follow i've checked everything i can possibly think of and im stumped!

By a manual with electrical schematics. Sounds like a switch or connection is fouled up and that will allow you to see how all your components are electrically related. Also do you have a test light and multi meter? Verify were the power stops at coming from the battery.

Welcome fellow Minnesotan! I use to drive through Hibbing all the time on my old work truck route. As far as your regal goes, I can't help but wonder if it was ever in a flood. Besides that, I hate to go with the ol cliche of "a bad connection", but your mention of a remote start makes me immediately suspect of that

I've seen bad/loose/corroded ground straps for chassis grounds do this. My sister once had a LeMans that would have everything but the engine quit when you hit potholes a certain way, because everything but the engine was actually getting ground through the engine mounts. When the mounts shifted when the car hit a pothole, everything shut down.

I fixed a car that had a similar problem a few years ago. It would randomly shut off the engine while driving. Almost everything was still getting power except the engine. I believe it was an Alero about the same year as yours. Turns out it was a bad ignition switch. It would randomly shut power off to the engine. I would check the wiring out of the ignition switch and make sure its feeding power out like it should. The switch connector can go bad also- a loose wire end or corrosion can create an open in the system.