Dan's 1990 TGP Take 2

Heartbeat1991

I have to ask, how did you repaint the center caps? I have just been hunting for 4 new ones, so far I am halfway there

With model paint and a toothpick. It's not perfect, but from 2 feet away you can't tell the difference. It took a while to do all 4.

With model paint and a toothpick. It's not perfect, but from 2 feet away you can't tell the difference. It took a while to do all 4.

You have more patience than I do. I would have gotten some overlays printed up that I could just stick on. :D

I never thought of overlays. . This was free and I didn't have to wait for anything. I am pretty sure I found new ones somewhere online recently. I can't remember where. They were listed for like $11 each.

Geez that must have taken forever! I did the konig caps on mine with model paint and a tiny brush, and they are way less lettering

I used a small brush for the ABS part. The outer letters are smaller and mostly linear lettering. The toothpick allows more control.

If you get close, you can tell they were re-painted. They are far from perfect. But not bad from a couple feet away. Standing next to the car looking at them you can't tell. That's what counts. I sprayed a decent amount of clear lacquer over them to seal it all up.

post-9474-143689169658_thumb.jpg

This car is turning out great. I like the job you did on the center caps! I don't think I'd be able to do as good a job there, model detailing like that I am NOT good at :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Trunk and roof are just about ready to be sprayed. I just need to clean up the edges of the roof, and the key hole in the trunk.

post-9474-143689170783_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689170796_thumb.jpg

The roof is stripped then sanded. The trunk was all sandpaper. I stripped the hood with stripper, but only down to the primer, then I sanded the rest. Sanding takes forever. But stripper leaves residue that has to be cleaned many times, and it still requires plenty of sanding, also.

No way. That would be a ton of work to smooth it out that much. I wouldn't like the look either. It will be black, likely tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm not actively looking. Just keeping my eye out if I run across one. I'm not doing much. I just cleaned it up and put it back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprayed the Roof, Hood, Louvers, and trunk today. Came out decent. It needs a rub out and buff, but that's the downside to painting outside. I shot some clear over a couple spots that needed it. I painted the top of the rear bumper and blended it down. But given the difference in the shine from new to old, even after buffing up the old, I'm going to have to scuff and shoot the rest of the car later this week to make it all match better.

post-9474-143689171397_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171424_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171444_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171459_thumb.jpg

I touched up these areas with clear to cover up some minor clear cost scratches and road spray thinking I'd be able to wet sand and buff to match, but the old paint just doesn't buff out enough to match to my satisfaction. So I will just shoot the rest of the car. I'll have to get better pics in the AM.

post-9474-143689171488_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171505_thumb.jpg

Should have painted the entire car. The areas you painted look great.

The rest of the car looked pretty good as it was. That's why I only fixed the problem areas. But I sprayed 5 or 6 coats of clear on it. So those areas look a lot better. I'll spray the rest of the car later this week. I'll likely just scuff and clear the rest.

You need to do mine. I will pay you in cartons of pizza rolls

Gonna be a lot of pizza rolls, Buddy. LOL. The material alone was $500. That's mid grade stuff. Then there is the whole Michigan/Connecticut thing. . . .