Dan's 1990 TGP Take 2

Heartbeat1991

whats it doing?

Sounds like a misfire. It misses at idle, seems to miss under load, and lacks power. It will still drive, but it's very noticeable on the highway at cruising speeds.

What about the coils?

Edit: nevermind I see you did some swapping, did you ohm those?

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by redgrandprix

need to check for broken plug ceramic and gap and plug torque with those symptoms. and want to make sure they are the right plugs before thinking about other stuff. easy enough to do even though it was just done.

What about the coils?

Edit: nevermind I see you did some swapping, did you ohm those?

I didn't ohm them. I swapped them with several sets to be sure. The set on there now came off my running 3400 that has less than 6,000 miles on it since new. I'm pretty sure its not the coils or ICM. I have a fuel problem of some sort. The system does not hold pressure when they pump shuts off. I need to isolate that. I have ohmed the injectors and they are all within spec. It was running a little rough when I got it. 2 injectors were below 11 ohms, so I swapped them with some used ones I had around. I will have to check them all for proper flow. I'll likely see what it costs to get them rebuilt and just go that route.

Well ohms can't pass but it can definately fail a part, idk if you can pinch the return line to see if the leak is before that. I think these are the ford injectors people have used as stock replacents but im not sure.

http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=256

Is it a random or rythmic miss?

Edited by redgrandprix

Yes, I pinched the return line and still saw a pressure drop. I can get my factory injectors cleaned and flow matched for $132.00. So that is likely my next step. I am still not positive that this will solve my problem. It seems to be a rhythmic miss. I may change the ignition wires again to be sure they are ok, but the problem got worse when I swapped out a couple injectors, so I suspect that is going to be the root of the problem. I have to check part numbers also to make sure that I didn't put a NA 3.1 15# in it by accident.

I ran Ford C302 yellow top injectors in my TGP with good results.

I know that's a popular fix. I'd prefer to just get these injectors cleaned and put them back in.

• 4 weeks later...

The fuel pump wasn't the issue. It was the regulator and a very small leak in 1 injector causing the pressure drop. The miss was also a sticky injector. And yes, the car will be sold.

I haven't sent them out yet. I took it all back apart. When I clamped off the return line, the pressure would very slowly bleed off. I took the rails off, and I could hear it seeping. I used a piece of cardboard below the injectors and cranked it over a second or two. Two of the injectors had significantly less flow. I replaced 4 of them with other spares I had, and now it runs much better. Still a very slight hesitation. I plan to ship them all off this week, now that I have isolated the problem better.

• 5 months later...

What a coincidence, I just googled this thread to update it.

I am in the process of painting the car again.  As I had stated once before, I wasn't happy with the paint job from last year.  I also bought TGP #3 a couple months ago, so I am likely going to sell this one soon.  I picked up some parts to take care of a few odds and ends before it goes up for sale.  It's nearly perfect, so I plan to complete it.  I'll post up a couple pics of the current work on it.

Here are some pics.  The sunroof motor seems to have quit, so I am replacing it.  I bought new Turbo emblems for it.  The last pics are as it was before I started the sanding to repaint it.  The one in the foreground is #2, and #3 is in the background.

post-7331-0-86744700-1437861662_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-50253500-1437861686_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-60929000-1437861725_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-37608200-1437861753_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-07247800-1437861806_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-77910200-1437861824_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-10028200-1437861846_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-74998600-1437861863_thumb.jpeg

post-7331-0-82200500-1437861881_thumb.jpeg

Nice progress. Have you found a sunroof motor?

Yes.  The Shantz house of W had one.  Thanks.  Hoping to spray it in a couple hours.  I'll update soon.

• 1 month later...

Hello, my names Dominic and I was wondering what state you lived in. I have a red 90 tgp and it's my baby. After investing a decent bit of money into it and driving it for a few months a series of events has led to it developing a rod knock. You seem to know about... eveything about these cars haha and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I just started a thread above yours and am hoping to do the same thing. I'm really inspired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my names Dominic and I was wondering what state you lived in. I have a red 90 tgp and it's my baby. After investing a decent bit of money into it and driving it for a few months a series of events has led to it developing a rod knock. You seem to know about... eveything about these cars haha and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I just started a thread above yours and am hoping to do the same thing. I'm really inspired.

I'm in CT.  I think I saw a thread either here or Facebook about your knock.  I will find it and respond there.  I may have already, I don't remember.