Dan's 1990 TGP Take 2

Heartbeat1991

It's got a little orange peel to it. I'll wet sand and buff it once the whole car is done. It will be smooth as glass. There's a lot of clear on there. It's a nice, deep shine. I might do another restoration one after this. I'll keep saving them as long as there are buyers for them. As long as I can keep one or two....

The car had a very slight miss at idle. It was barely even noticeable. I swapped the ICM and coils as a unit a couple weeks ago with no change. I swapped it again to another unit off my other car just to be sure, and still no change. So I figured I would have to check the injectors. I pulled it all apart today. Four injectors came up about 12.3-12.4 ohms. One came up 11.4, and one at 8.0. So I swapped those two out for some good spares I had. Just once it would be nice to no have to do injectors on one of these. Anyway, as always, I cleaned everything up as I went. It's not all together yet because I need to run out and get gaskets after dinner. I cleaned up the lower intake, fuel rails, upper intake and throttle body. They needed it pretty bad. I'll also pick up a new PCV since it's the easiest time to replace it, and it's cheap.

post-9474-143689171685_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171665_thumb.jpg

Did you rattle can this? I am thinking not, those are good results I assume you used a spray gun?

No rattle cans. It's base/clear. With a gun.

As Nate requested, I shot the entire car. All fresh paint. I'd have preferred to take the car all apart to do it, But I painted behind all the cladding a few months ago when it was off anyway. It was a little bit breezier than I'd like for an outdoor spray today, so it will need a bunch of cutting and polishing in the next couple days, but overall, it's decent. It will smooth out very nicely. As seen in the pics, I started to cut the trunk lid already. More to come.

Basically, I figured since I was going to scuff and clear coat anyway, I might as well shoot paint, too, since I had plenty of base. Since I was going to paint it, I might as well fix the two dings in it. So, I sanded, filled, sanded, sealed, painted and cleared.

post-9474-143689171761_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171783_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171803_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171823_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689171842_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Nate

Black is hard, metallic is hard. Black metallic is a huge pain. I'm content with how its coming out. Once it's buffed hopefully there's not much showing through.

Your cars are a bit far away to make it worth it. :biggrin:

Nice! Not often you see a tgp with good paint

The paint on it was actually mostly good. But painting 3 panels without doing the rest wasn't matching the way I'd like it to. I probably shouldn't have sprayed so many coats of clear. The shine was too deep on the newly painted parts. Now it all matches.

Great work!!! Making me want to do mine really bad now.

DO EEEEEET

The paint on it was actually mostly good. But painting 3 panels without doing the rest wasn't matching the way I'd like it to. I probably shouldn't have sprayed so many coats of clear. The shine was too deep on the newly painted parts. Now it all matches.

Looks great man!

On another note, I'm not completely satisfied with the paint job. But it's too cold to do much about it. I haven't decided what I want to do about that. I may just sell it as it is. It's not horrible, but it could be better.

post-9474-143689173035_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689173052_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689173068_thumb.jpg

You are kidding? It looks good. Wait a while wet sand and then buff with a rubbing compound and that paint will pop. Especially a black color.

I did wet sand and buff. There are a couple areas where it got a little breezy and the clear was a little rough. I sanded it smooth again, and I went over it quite a bit with 100, 1500 and 2000, then compounded and polished. It shines, but it doesn't look right in some spots through the clear. I'm not sure why. It's a little hazy in places, and I can still see sanding marks in it. I'm not sure, but I may scuff it and hit it with one or two more coats of clear on a warm day.

• 1 month later...

I've been chasing down a demon in the car. I'm getting a slight miss. I've replaced ICM, Plugs, Wires, FPR and a couple bad injectors. I am thinking at this point that there has to be a dirty or leaking injector. I think I'm going to pull them all and have them rebuilt.