New member from no. VA

Demon-Xanth

I recently replaced my Dakota I owned for 13 years with an 04 Grand Prix GTP, it has 98k on the clock. It's not my first though, before the Dakota I had a 91 grand Prix LE with the 3.1, bought with 146k in '97 and sold with 250k in '01.

This one has the supercharged 3.8, but has a couple issues.

When parked, it acts like air gets into the fuel line, and takes two or three cranking cycles to start.

I haven't figured out how to get the HUD working.

It came with a single key, what would I expect to pay for two more keys and a fob?

Hey, welcome to the site! My cars are all Oldsmobiles and all older so I can't help with the HUD or the keys, but that first problem you mentioned sounds like maybe the fuel pump...?

I recently replaced my Dakota I owned for 13 years with an 04 Grand Prix GTP, it has 98k on the clock. It's not my first though, before the Dakota I had a 91 grand Prix LE with the 3.1, bought with 146k in '97 and sold with 250k in '01.

This one has the supercharged 3.8, but has a couple issues.

When parked, it acts like air gets into the fuel line, and takes two or three cranking cycles to start.

I haven't figured out how to get the HUD working.

It came with a single key, what would I expect to pay for two more keys and a fob?

Welcome

Welcome!

As far as the new keys and fobs. If the 04+ cars are the same as the 97-03, the fobs you can find on eBay and then reprogram yourself. When I bought a couple new ones for my GP, the guy on eBay gave instructions along with the fobs. Or the owner's manual should have a how-to.

Keys though, I'm not sure. A new one for my GP was $60+ at the dealer a number of years ago because of that stupid chip in the key

Is the HUD visible at any time at all? Day or night?

The cranking issue might be a bad FPR or injectors leaking down, although I'd say the latter is more uncommon for that style of injector.

No light at all on the HUD. I'll look into the regulator. Any idea where would be a good place to get a factory service manual in PDF form? I had one for my Dakota and have one for the Corvair. I got spoiled with them.

On the HUD, looked down from above, it works but a spring for the mirror is out and roaming freely. I'll have to look for where it goes to see if the plastic clip on the bottom is where it goes or not. As for the fuel pressure, turning the key to on but not cranking showed it jump up to 58 psi then quickly drop back down. Running is a steady 58 psi. Return less system with no regulator as far as I can tell.

Edit:

Yep, that is where it goes. Troubleshooting done. Fix whenever I get to it. Have higher priority stuff first.

Edited by Demon-Xanth

Welcome to the forum.... Nice to see someone from the mid-atlantic area join up. I'm in DC myself.

The key can be copied no problem. Take it to a locksmith, they should be able to copy it for $20.

The keyfob is a bit more complicated, but there's write ups on how to do it for other cars. It's not that hard, I think you have to reset the box and reprogram all the key fobs. They sell them on ebay for $15 i think.