Getrag 284 5Spd replacement clutch problems - need assistance

northcarolinaman

My car had to be towed because it started "screeching" very loudly and I could smell smoke. The verdict is that I need to replace components in the clutch.

Center Force does not make a full clutch kit for my car.

Phoenix, Zoom Performance, RhinoPac, Exedy, Centric, Clutchnet, and Valeo do.

I ended up opting for a Clutchnet stage 2 clutch...here is the link:

http://clutchnet.com/index.php?optio...848&Itemid=140

On Monday, I went to the dealer and the clutch was already installed. However, there is a major problem. When the pedal is pushed it takes tremendous effort (feels like concrete), and when the pedal is depressed pushing the pin on the slave cylinder in...it actually causes the plastic where it the slave cylinder mounts to the transmission to flex.

As you can see from the link above, the clutches go from Stage 1 to 5...and there is no way a Stage 2 should be that stiff. I was wondering if the cylinder itself might be bad?...or could it be the clutch? Has anyone else run into this issue? Neither the mechanic or I know what to do.

There are three slave cylinders:

1) Original OEM which was removed.

2) OEM replacement that I bought. It was Raybestos...same part number as Delco. My understanding is that they tried to put that one in when the pin was not in it, which is what messed it up. What happened is that there is a circular metal ring that protruded beyond the mount. That is what I saw when he showed me.

3) To replace the one that was damaged, they purchased another new one (I am not sure where) and installed it in the car. When pressing the pedal inside you can see the plastic where it mounts to the transmission flex.

The clutch and pressure plate came from clutchnet. The new throwout bearing is from GM. The new master and slave cylinders I bought were from Raybestos. However, they said that the third slave cylinder got damaged because it was put in without the pin? He showed me that one on his workbench and you could see a silver sleeve sticking out of it where it mounts to the tranny. The replacement they bought was already in the car, but I have no idea where it came from.

Does anyone have experience with this that can help?

Thanks,

Tom