3.1l LHO performance mods?

1990lumi

what are some performance mods for the 3.1l LHO engine i know port polish heads and intake and get the cam reground and bore out and replace pistons but what else is there really to do besides turbo or 3800 supercharge swap, i plan on pulling the motor/trans from my 90 lumina and scrapping the car but saving the powertrain for the 95 gp i plan on getting that has a 3100

Edited by 1990lumi

what are some performance mods for the 3.1l LHO engine i know port polish heads and intake and get the cam reground and bore out and replace pistons but what else is there really to do besides turbo or 3800 supercharge swap, i plan on pulling the motor/trans from my 90 lumina and scrapping the car but saving the powertrain for the 95 gp i plan on getting that has a 3100

If your getting a 1995gp with a 3100, why are you saving a 3.1? Its a different motor, and its worse than the 3100.

I agree with 19Cutlass94. If I was in your shoes, I would get a 1996 1G W for OBD2 and swap in a non VVT 3500 and 6 speed transmission from a Pontiac G6. That's one of the few ways it would be worth to do a swap. The 3500 is also easy to turbo. IDK if it will have the same bellhousing pattern as a 4T60E though, but I know the 3500 swap is very popular in the N body community. It's actually a pretty good engine, I prefer it over the 3400 and 3100. But if you wanted to keep it simple, a 3400 swap would do more justice to the 3100 than reverting back to the LH0.

i wanted to keep the 3.1l because i hear its more reliable then the 3100 that is in the gp and just wanted to do the mods to that sense i will be scrapping the car instead of buying another motor when i will have one laying around already and i cant really get a 96 1g w body because whats around my area and isnt rusted to the ground for the amount that i have to spend for a new car

The 3500 has the same bell housing pattern as the other 60 degree V6s. Even modded, the LHO is a step backwards from a 3100. I have a boosted 3400/F40 in my Z24. If anything, there are some parts you can use from the 3.1 to fix a 3100.

My question to 1990lumi is why does he feel the 3100 SFI isn't a reliable engine? I personally don't find anything wrong with it other than it being low on power compared to the 3400 but that's subjective.

isnt the 3100 known for eating intake gaskets like candy

All the V6 engines from GM between 1993-5ish to 2005 were, but it's because they're made out of plastic, not metal.

If you want a properly engineered (aka non cheaped out) GM V6, get a 3500 or a 3900. Those are found in anything produced when the 2005 Malibu/G6 came out. Some W's still had the 3800, but had the gasket fixed. They were metal. In fact, all 3x00 engines that had a plastic intake gasket were eventually able to be retrofitted with a metal one. Once this solution is applied, the issue will never resurface.

well I can say this... JE pistons, tgp manifolds, gt28, and arp bolts on a 3.1 will make a fun car as long as there aren't any bugs.. 3.8 swap never looked in to and 3500 has been becoming increasingly common.