L67 swap Power Steering

Quaraxkad

I'm slowly getting back to my Cutlass L67 swap, I've got one (million) thing(s) holding me up... All of the guides say to use an L36 high pressure power steering line, and that it should be installed before the engine because it's difficult to do it after. And that's as much detail as any of them go into about it and don't mention it ever again. I was originally going to make my own, or have one made from a place I know where I can get a good price on SS-braided lines, but not knowing the actual shape and routing I will need in the end makes that very difficult to do from the start. Then I decided I was just going to finish the swap cheaply, and maybe in the future I'll do a proper rebuild with custom parts and mods but for now I just want to get it running. So in looking for that hose, I found that nearly every L36-equipped car I've looked at has a slightly different hose shape and routing. So which one do I need? I did find one thread where it was said that they used a Z34 hose (I believe they specified 1998), but looking up that hose on RockAuto returned two different types, one 5 foot long hose and one 33 inch hose using different routings. I'm not sure which one I need, or maybe both of them will fit, or maybe any L36 hose will fit. I've got a new 2.25-turn rack installed and that hose is the next step that I'd like to get sorted out before dropping in the engine (or moving on to the next question). Anybody have more specifics on exactly which hose(s) will fit? Thanks!

the ones that vary in length are the return lines and those have several different versions (some with a snake of hardline below the DIFF, others run the "cooler" to the front of the subframe/etc.

the pressure line is the same on all of em for the most part, our 94 olds has a 2004 set of PS lines/cooler

Here's the RockAuto catalog for 98 Lumina 3.8: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1303760,parttype,7320

It lists two very different lines. Other cars I looked at with L36 had different ones as well.

Just picking out two cars at random with L36s,

2004 Grand Prix: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1429703,parttype,7320

None of these are the same as either of the ones in the Lumina.

And 2000 LeSabre: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1358018,parttype,7320

More completely different hoses.

So it seems that it's surely not as simple as "L36 hose", as there are a ton of different versions. Again though, maybe any of them will fit, but I won't know until I install the engine and I'd rather be sure I got the right one before I drop it in and have to remove it again and buy another new hose until I find one that fits.

EDIT: I just double-checked my stash of parts, and I do have the power steering lines both from my car (92 Cutlass) and the L67 donor (00 GTP). I couldn't remember if I removed the lines or cut them when I pulled the engine from the junkyard. For all I know, one of those could fit with maybe a little bending of the hard-line. I'm sure it'll all make sense once the engine is in, but I need to know before that.

Edited by Quaraxkad

I used the shorter line from a 98 Z34. The longer line routes up and over the exhaust manifold at the firewall. Most 2nd Gen GP's are this way.

The shorter one runs across the rack and just seems a cleaner install than the longer one

Dont mean to thread jack but is there a good guide somewhere with what you need for this swap? Been seeing different posts about it but nothing complete or a write up..teied googling and search functions..any link you have would help and good luck with yours..will be swapping an l67 and 4t65ehd into my new to.me 95 vert

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't think there's a guide on this site, but there are a couple of them around on other places. Most of them are versions of the second post of this thread: http://forums.motorswap.org/viewtopic.php?t=3172&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc. I don't know where it originally came from or who wrote it. Whether it's a "good" guide or not I have yet to determine. I can say that it's no where near as in-depth as guides I'm familiar with for swaps in my other car. It's very vague in a lot of areas, so we'll see how many snags I run into that aren't mentioned. Plenty of people around here have done it though, so any issues should be easy to get resolved.

Thanks ya this is the one I found as well and agreed it wasnt to.detailed..still confused about the c100 connector but I will keep researching..good luck with the rest of your swap!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk