PM III dead!

opablo1

Hi Guys!

On the beginning I have to say I'm from Poland that's why I'm looking for a help in US.

My Powermaster III in Buick Regal from 1991 is dead I think. This mastercylinder leask from couple weaks, and now when I push the brake pedal it's bard as hell.

I belive the is no option, especially in Europe to rebuild that powermaster because no one know this pump. Anyway I want to ask You can i find any rebuild PMIII in US with costs are lower than 1000$? Because this price is tooooo high for me.

Maybe any one of You have this pump to sell? Please help me, because if I can fix it I have to sell this car.

P.S. sorry for my bad english

best regards

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shurup

• opablo1

• White93z34

• Heartbeat1991

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're right this codes are different.

One more think, when I push brake pedal i don't hear pump. 2 days ago the pump was leaking but still working now i dont even hear it. Could be broken pump or sustem shotdown pump because of somethin (leaking or some sensor)?

unfortunately, no one in Poland have scanner for this ABS. Is any other sollution for check this codes from ABS?

You can do it with a paper clip. I don't recall which pins to jump. I can find out if you can't find it.

You mean ECM trouble codes right?

But I think I should check ABS CPU codes, correct me if I'm wrong.

If there is a possibility to chect it with a paper clip how to do that and where find this connector?

You mean ECM trouble codes right?

But I think I should check ABS CPU codes, correct me if I'm wrong.

If there is a possibility to chect it with a paper clip how to do that and where find this connector?

You're in the right path, but it was suggested you use the paper clip trick to check the ABS codes. The posters just don't know which pins to jump for ABS codes. I have a 94 so I don't have PMIII and I can't use the paper clip so I'm no use anymore.

You cannot check the PMIII codes with a paperclip, need a scantool.

Unfortunately the last place that I know of in the US is no longer doing rebuilds on PMIII units.

Unfortunately the last place that I know of in the US is no longer doing rebuilds on PMIII units.

this is from rockauto.

[TABLE=class: layout, width: 820]

[TR]

[TD]All Vehicles > PONTIAC > 1990 > GRAND PRIX > 3.1L 189 cubic inch V6 Turbocharged > Brake/Wheel Hub > ABS Hydraulic Unit[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: main, width: 820]

[TR]

[TH]1990 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 3.1L 189 cubic inch V6 Turbocharged : Brake/Wheel Hub : ABS Hydraulic Unit feed_icon.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Price[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Core[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Total[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Add to Cart[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: part0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0]

[TD][TABLE=class: parts, width: 582]

[TR]

[TD=class: left][TABLE=class: layout, width: 578]

[TR]

[TD]A-1 CARDONE Part # 123307 More Info {#18017169} Reman.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$885.79[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$90.00[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$975.79[/TD]

[TD=class: center, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: part1, bgcolor: #E0E0E0]

[TD][TABLE=class: parts, width: 582]

[TR]

[TD=class: left][TABLE=class: layout, width: 504]

[TR]

[TD]RAYBESTOS Part # ABS540087 More Info Professional Grade; Reman

Master Cylinder Part Of Hydraulic Assembly[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]getimage.php?imagekey=301695&imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockauto.com%2Finfo%2FRaybestos%2FABS540087-7.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$1,085.79[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$200.00[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right]$1,285.79[/TD]

[TD=class: center, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Please check notes in each part listing to ensure the ABS Hydraulic Unit is correct for your 1990 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX with a 3.1L 189 Turbocharged engine. A-1 CARDONE & RAYBESTOS are competing brands, and each brand's ABS Hydraulic Unit may be interchangeable. Special restrictions like "California only" or "with sport package" may indicate a ABS Hydraulic Unit fits only certain 1990 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX models.

Clicking a "More Info" link will display a picture and/or other details about that ABS Hydraulic Unit in a separate window (you may need to turn off your pop-up-blocking software for this to work).

After choosing a ABS Hydraulic Unit, click the "Add Part" button. Shipping costs will be shown on the Shopping Cart page. You may use your browser's Back button or click "Find More Parts" to find more Brake/Wheel Hub parts, other PONTIAC GRAND PRIX parts or parts for a different vehicle. Please try our Interactive Catalog (click link above) for faster searching. Both catalogs use the same shopping cart so any auto parts you've already chosen for your 1990 PONTIAC will not be lost if you switch.

Last I checked Rockauto it wasn't listed.

But lets be honest at that price.... It may as well not be available at all. :lol:

I know there's a way to get ABS codes with a jumper. I did it on my last TGP last year. I believe it is terminals H & A.

You right that price suggested this part is unavialable. Anyway I read a lot of times that people usualy change modulator could it be a solution? Can this modulator leaks and the brake pedal is hard and no brakes at all?

post-10857-143689165091_thumb.jpg

in this place i see a lot of brake fluid but I cant find a source of this drain. Could it be this modulator?

You right that price suggested this part is unavialable. Anyway I read a lot of times that people usualy change modulator could it be a solution? Can this modulator leaks and the brake pedal is hard and no brakes at all?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16653[/ATTACH]

in this place i see a lot of brake fluid but I cant find a source of this drain. Could it be this modulator?

Your photo is pointing to the rear housing of the unit. This is a known area to crack on these master cylinders.

Ok. So i belive there is no option to rebuild this ABS pump.

Can You tell me what should I change to put in my car (Regal 1991) non ABS power master?

I think:

power master

firewall

and what else?

You will need:

Firewall plate. May be possible to modify your existing one since whole dash has to come out to replace it. I don't know if that's easier or not.

Brake master cylinder for vacuum brakes. I think you would need 88-93. I believe 94+ came with ABS VI. You could swap that in, but you'd have a good bit of wiring to deal with.

Vacuum booster. 94-96 Regal, Grand Prix, 94-97 Cutlass Supreme, and 95-99? Monte Carlo/Lumina should fit and be better than the 88-93 version.

Metal brake lines. They are different. Not sure if you can just modify the front ones or not. Rear is definitely very different.

All of this would be very easy to find in the US, but I don't know how much trouble it'll be to find this in Poland.

shurup that's great!

I cant wait to see finished result.

I see You made some modyfications to not change all parts from non ABS car is that right?

Hello. Yeah, I decided not to put the plate with no ABS, because its installation requires removal of the steering column, air conditioning system, the pedal box, the entire instrument panel. I decided to make the adapter plate using only a fraction of the plate without ABS. Brake pipes need all new, old does not fit the thread.

A non ABS system requires 4 independent brake lines from the master to all four corners of the car,

the ABS system makes use of 3 lines, 2 to feed the front calipers & 1 off the master that goes to a proportioning block located at the rear axle where THAT splits off to 2 independent lines to feed the rear calipers.

The brake lines are not interchangeable, the two different masters locate the front lines in different locations. One has to either fabricate all new lines or find them elsewhere (on another donor car that has no ABS), and given your location that might be a headache.

Edited by 55trucker

I will be paying attention to this!

I'm really sick of PMIII right now, I just want to drive my car without fear that it will break constantly.