Carpet dye

Imp558

Anybody have first hand knowledge? My gray carpet shell is pretty shot so I'm thinking about making it black. I was told it gets stringy and clumpy so it may be a bad idea to do a whole shell. The plan is to pull it out and pressure wash it, then let it dry and scrub the dye in outside of the car.

a grey carpet making black wont be a good idea. you can paint for example a carpet with vht vinyl dye (really good stuff) but only if it is the same colur or very similar.

complete different colour like yours will look pretty crappy after painting it. additional the typical smooth carpet feeling ist gone because the paint overlaid the carpet fibers.

because Im a professional car detailer I got some experience with really dirty cars / carpets.

post-9500-143689164376_thumb.jpg

post-9500-143689164397_thumb.jpg

post-9500-143689164369_thumb.jpg

post-9500-143689164384_thumb.jpg

Edited by HEMI-V8

whats the quality like?

I personally don't like them. I haven't ordered any carpet from them yet BUT I did have a sample sent to my house. My main gripe is that it doesn't have the rubber backing. It's literally just carpet, the carpet itself feels fine. They say they'll do the "mass backing" for $100 more or something.

I personally don't like them. I haven't ordered any carpet from them yet BUT I did have a sample sent to my house. My main gripe is that it doesn't have the rubber backing. It's literally just carpet, the carpet itself feels fine. They say they'll do the "mass backing" for $100 more or something.

Screw that, for what a carpet shell costs it should be right. I'll watch Pull-A-Part

Well it depends what your price point is. Like I said you have to pay extra for the rubber under it which I think is sack. I may have my carpet custom made of it's cheaper.

While on this, 2G cars have a different floorpan right? I want black carpet but no 1G has em that I know of

What about getting that aftermarket carpet in black and then attach it to existing carpet? Then trim the edges up so they tuck away neatly.

What about getting that aftermarket carpet in black and then attach it to existing carpet? Then trim the edges up so they tuck away neatly.

My old carpet has seen sad times. Long story short, it reeks it probably has 10 viruses, 20 bacterial species and 5 different kinds of fungal growth. That carpet will never see my car again.

But yes I thought of pulling the carpet off and using the rubber backing. That didn't go so well

Screw that, for what a carpet shell costs it should be right. I'll watch Pull-A-Part

Here's the website I was talking to you about.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/massback.asp?RetItem=10082

This is how it looks like if I order the carpet how I want it to be (Stock, WITH THE rubber backing).

post-8125-143689164553_thumb.jpg

It's $220 basically but it would be as close to stock as it gets. Like I said earlier, my main issue is that if you buy the cheap one that comes out to be $150 or so shipped, it would just be like house carpet, but "molded".

I'm only going this route because I rather have a new carpet than get one out of another car and "hope" it fits since 1G stuff is hard to find in my area.

The irony of this is that they sell the carpets cheaper on ebay. SMH