simple door handle question

biggyfries

I have plowed through a couple of hours of searches but have yet to find the most basic answer to my question: can I repair my door handle on my 94 CS convert by getting in the access panel on the inside of the door edge? Must I take the door upholstery off, and disassemble the door to effect a repair on the handle?

I have removed the access panel behind the door handle and removed all screws, but I can't see how to get the whole thing apart.

Is there a sticky on door handle repair? I don't see one.

Are you referring to the outside handle or inside handle? I assume you mean the outside. Repairing is highly unlikely. A better description would help us guide you. You should be able to by removing the access panel and another nut at the top of the door frame on the inside. The convertible may be different though.

That access panel is the way to repair the outside handle, is that what you're asking, or the inside door handle?

If outside, no need to take the door upholstery off, there's a couple of acorn nuts, and Phillips screws that get the housing loose from the car, then you'll need to take the rods loose from the handle to get the outside handle completely removed.

I have plowed through a couple of hours of searches but have yet to find the most basic answer to my question: can I repair my door handle on my 94 CS convert by getting in the access panel on the inside of the door edge? Must I take the door upholstery off, and disassemble the door to effect a repair on the handle?

I have removed the access panel behind the door handle and removed all screws, but I can't see how to get the whole thing apart.

Is there a sticky on door handle repair? I don't see one.

My bad for not specifying its the outside handle thats flopping around loose. The inner works perfectly!

I got the acorn nuts off easily, and found one small screw accessed through holes in the door frame, but there must be another one I can't see because the outer (black) tin isn't coming off--its loose but won't let go. Also my lighted lock cylinder came apart with springs falling out--sad! Usually I like a challenge of a job like this, but I have had mysteries which need a lot of searches--there is a lot of pages regarding handle fixes, but it is still a struggle the first time through. I will prevail eventually

Yeah, the flopping handle pretty much means it's permanently broken, and will have to be replaced. There are two Phillips screws in the door handle, a larger one, and a sneaky small one that sits right at the edge of the door metal, almost directly below the lock cylinder.

My bad for not specifying its the outside handle thats flopping around loose. The inner works perfectly!

I got the acorn nuts off easily, and found one small screw accessed through holes in the door frame, but there must be another one I can't see because the outer (black) tin isn't coming off--its loose but won't let go. Also my lighted lock cylinder came apart with springs falling out--sad! Usually I like a challenge of a job like this, but I have had mysteries which need a lot of searches--there is a lot of pages regarding handle fixes, but it is still a struggle the first time through. I will prevail eventually

I am certain I have all screws and nuts out, I have unhooked the two rods, my lock cylinder is toast, but it is out of the way at least. Now all parts are loose and you'd expect everything to lift right out--but it doesn't! It seems there is one small stud of some sort under the molding that covers the window gasket--the long one that goes along the top of the door itself. I carefully pry it up enough to look under it and I can see a rivet or some other fastener--it looks like a screw but with no slots, more like a rivet. I see nothing visible inside, in back of the latch apparatus. I am so close but fear bending or breaking something. Any suggestions?

I can clearly see the handle is broken. I have one coming from ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow-up on my door handle replacement. I was having grief getting the old handle to let go, I found someone had added another screw to hold it in place. There has been some work done on this door in the past and things were askew, screws added, and it was more difficult to remove than stock, but I did finally get it out. The new handle/panel was misshapen from the maker (Taiwan?) so I needed to trim the left edge (front edge) about 1/8 inch. the studs didn't go thru the holes quite right so I relieved the holes, finally everything fit well and it went together with little drama, the studs were a bit short so the acorn nuts didn't have much to bite into, but after massaging everything it went together nice. I still have to get the lock cylinger back together and installed, but I can do that when the weather cools down a little.

All the good advice and descriptions go by the wayside when a previous mechanic gets things a bit sideways. We are okay now, my handle replacement went fine after It got sorted out--not too hard at all.

Next--I find my cruise control doesn't work, so I will start a new thread on that when the time comes. Beyond that, this is a pretty nice car and is certainly worthy of fixing.