recently aquired a diamond!

biggyfries

I saw a 94 Cutlass convert and spoke to the owner who said he was moving and was going to sell his car. It was driven by a 16-yr-old son for quite awhile and was given NO care whatsoever. It was a bit shabby, but is a loaded car with only 37K miles!! So I bought it fairly cheap and have set about repairing things bit by bit. My first thing was to fix the driver's door ext handle, I wanted to disconnect the batt but couldn't figure out how to do that, so I dug out the battery, and found it was ancient, needing replacement, so I am in the process of doing that today. Still have not gotten the door apart!

Whenever I clean something or adjust something it looks like new under all the dirt. I am pleased at the way it is responding to the attention, and I expect to have it looking great very soon. Now that I have access to this site I will have plenty of questions about odd things--this is a VERY different car than I am familiar with--I was a Mustang restorer for many years (65-66 mainly) and have much to learn about this car! Nothing translates!

post-10830-143689164193_thumb.jpg

post-10830-143689164199_thumb.jpg

One trick that I use to disonnect batteries in AJAM & AMY (if you simply want to be safe and don't need to replace said battery) is to. Use one full length 3/8" drive extention and attach it to a second half length extention wth the correct socket on the end and you can thread the device through and turn where near the hood release, this pretty much works on all 1st Gen's.

Welcome! Nice score!

For the door handle, it's really easy. You only need to take off that plastic door bezel behind the handle, in the sill of the door.

2 screws to get that off, 1 screw and 2 crush nuts to get the handle off, and 2 clips holding the lock rod and the opener rod onto the handle. Don't mess up the clips too bad, you'll need them!

My car had the original door handle when I bought it, however, not in very good shape (bent and scraping). I had to remove the inner door panel to remove a screw that held the outside trim piece in place to allow the door handle to be pulled away from the car to be removed. Ever wonder what that extra hole at the bottom of the door handle was for? ( or maybe there's just an indent on the aftermarket ones, it's only been 5 yrs ago). To keep the trim tight to the car. I used duct seal putty to hold the trim so I don't have to remove the inner door panel to change the door handle next time, and you know it's going to happen.

Removing my handle seems anything BUT easy--I removed the tin access panel behind the handle (removed 3 screws) removed several other nuts,screws securing the black verticle piece surrounding the handle. From there I seem to be stumped--the black tin won't let go (can't remove it) and I don't see how to remove anything else at this point. My lighted key cylinder came apart and is jammed in there in such a way I can't get it to do anything productive. Wow, it seems like a nightmare to a beginner like me.

I don't see a sticky about fixing the door handle but have read page after page of verbage that doesn't apply to my mess. Am I discouraged? Kinda. I know this has been covered by many others before me and I know I will prevail eventually, but right now I am stuck.

Man I`m happy you saved it. 37K miles? Really? Sounds almost to good to be true. What engine does it have? If you plan on really getting into this car you will love the dealership manuals for it. I got a used one for about $70 and its worth WAY more.

The door handles might be stuck behind the trim, once all the self threading things are off there might be one or two little TORX screws around the key cylinder. Its been awhile since I had to mess with mine I cannot recall exactly. I always tell everyone when replacing these things to take a dremel tool or grinding mechanism to the brass sliding piece that sort of pivots where it makes contact and try to round off that edge to keep it from gouging the metal over time. I had a few pics but could take some new ones if needed.

Forgot to add that even pointless question get replies here, don't hesitate to ask about anything but be prepared for the replies.

Edited by rich_e777

...and generally not repairable. The long bar tends to snap in half, resulting in a door handle that doesn't work, and usually leans way out from the body of the car.

I used to keep a emergency stock of coupe handles for the Cutlass, but I've used all of them up, and haven't found a good one at a junkyard in at least a couple of years.