1990 Lumina Euro - Engine Strut Mounts - Out of Alignment

MReichle

I had the need to work against the firewall today and removed the engine strut mounts (Dog Bones) on the 90 Lumina.

The struts fell apart, so I picked up a new set. (the rubber fell out of the struts)

Upon re-assembly, I noticed that the mounts are out of alignment.

Picture bolting the strut to the frame, then bringing the engine side of the strut up to the engine, but the engine mount does not align with the strut. It's as if the engine needs to be moved to the right (driver-side) by about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch in order for the strut to drop into the mount.

I have a feeling the new struts will suffer if installed with the alignment issue. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Having not had to remove the engine struts since I had the transmission rebuilt, I wonder if the engine had been moved, thus throwing the struts out of alignment.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

...... i wonder if the lower engine or trans mount is doing strange things here? otherwise it sounds like the entire subframe could be having alignment problems.

...... i wonder if the lower engine or trans mount is doing strange things here? otherwise it sounds like the entire subframe could be having alignment problems.

x2

That was my first thought--Engine or trans mounts collapsed, or (worse yet) severe rust on the subframe so the subframe (cradle) won't support the mounts--or the subframe-to-body mounts are wiped out.

I tried rocking the engine/trans side to side with no change.

I'd have to move it at least 1/2" for the mounts to be aligned.

I'm trying to figure out just how it became that way to begin with!

There is no corrosion problem on the underside. I didn't crawl below to take a look at the engine and tranny mounts.

I can't help but wonder if this came to be after the transmission was re-installed. It is a reputable shop....but sh*t happens.

Pics? Jack it up and take the front wheels off and look behind the plastic plash shield on both sides to see either engine or transmission mount.