Dual exhaust setup on 90 Grand Prix

redmetrix

I am thinking about changing the stock dual exhaust system on my 90 Grand Prix to the newer style that was used 92-96. What is my ultimate goal? It's to have a quiet dual muffler setup. I plan to change everything that's after the catalytic converter.

Right now the car has this setup (diagram from Walker muffler)

post-3821-143689164041_thumb.jpg

I had a 93 GTP which of course had the newer setup with the resonator that goes to a y-pipe then to the mufflers. I was happy with the sound level of that setup. I'm hoping if I put this style setup on my 90, I will get the same/similar result. I plan to use new Walker parts: as far as I know, I will need the resonator/y-pipe which is all one piece, and then the left and right mufflers. I would also need to get mounting hardware from a 92-96 GP.

The resonator/y-pipe can be bought as one piece, it looks like this:

post-3821-143689164045_thumb.jpg

If anyone has some advice for me on this switchover, as far as what to keep in mind or things I will need, let me know. Will I run in to any issues trying to put the newer style exhaust on?

Don't expect aluminized steel to last one winter in Wisconsin, it's shit. Go to a junk yard and find the pipes on Grand Prix there. Stock pipes are 409 stainless steel and will outlast the entire car. I bought an entire cat back dual exhaust pipe set from a yard for $6. It pisses me off when dickheads at muffler shops talk people into new pipes because they are either too lazy to deal with the small pipe end when replacing a muffler or they just bull shit people into thinking the stainless is rotted out.

Edited by Hairdo12

Don't expect aluminized steel to last one winter in Wisconsin, it's shit. Go to a junk yard and find the pipes on Grand Prix there. Stock pipes are 409 stainless steel and will outlast the entire car. I bought an entire cat back dual exhaust pipe set from a yard for $6. It pisses me off when dickheads at muffler shops talk people into new pipes because they are either too lazy to deal with the small pipe end when replacing a muffler or they just bull shit people into thinking the stainless is rotted out.

I agree on the durability of the stock stainless. I've checked out the exhaust on a number of 94-96 W's in the salavage yard (single setup, not duals) and noticed most of the cars have the original exhaust system on them and it usually looks pretty good yet.

Ideally yes I would like to find a nice condition stock dual setup off a 94-96 GP and bolt it up to my car. I'll have to keep on the lookout for one.

Edited by redmetrix

IIRC most exhaust setups will work so long as the engines are the same/similar 3.1/3100/3400 or 3.8/3800. I would steer away from the dual setup that twists about the rear suspension components and just run your exhaust underneath. I think this was with the earlier W-bodies. I`ll bet one of those larger wire brushes that looks like it could clean out the inside of a howitzer could really restore the inside to some JY exhaust. Also if you could at lest get the Y-spilt for your exhaust shop, they should have everything else there to make the rest. Unless you are wanting a new downpipe. Custom downpipe might cost you some $$$, go larger than stock if this was already in the cards.

if only i could find a z34 around me to get parts from because i need interior parts but the only one in a jy in a 60mile area was in a roll over

That would make removing the exhaust a bit easier.:thumbsup:

Seriously it should be ok, a dual setup from any of the other 1st Gen W-bodies should work too. Doesn't have to be a Z34.