Exorcising Electrical Demons

DesertEagle50

One of the regular contributors to this forum (I believe it was Shurkey) instructed the OP to another thread to pop the nuts/terminals out of the molded rubber when cleaning the battery cable connections. I would like to encourage everyone to please follow through on this advice, as it solved the problem described below. In case you don't care to read that far, I have a few questions that I need answered before I can renew my confidence in the 95 Lumina.

Questions:

------------

(1) While charging the battery (installed in the vehicle) with a 1 amp charger, I noticed the reading lights and dome lamp were so much brighter and white instead of yellow. I checked the voltage at the battery terminals and it was 12.7 volts. Is this a cause for concern, as perhaps an indication of an excess draw on the battery?

(2) Since I have owned this car, the headlights, tail lights, instrument cluster, dome lights , and reading lights have pulsed at a rate of about once or twice per second. The alternator tested good at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts a while back and replacing the battery did not help. Again, is this a cause for concern?

(3) After solving (at least so far) the below problem, I did some testing on the alternator. The alternator spins freely, but the it sounds like the shaft is spinning on pebbles rather than bearings.

Results:

----------

-Idle < 1000 RPM, no accessories: battery terminal voltage = 13.95 to 14.05 volts

-Idle < 1000 RPM with doors closed, AC on with blower on max and both radiator fans spinning, Hi beams on, wipers on max, rear defroster on, and the radio blaring: 12.4 volts dropping by .01 volts every couple seconds.

(4) Thanks in advance for any help!

The Problem:

----------------

Over the course of a week, I noticed that the Lumina was no longer idling silky smooth, and I could feel the engine shutter and buck a bit when stopped at redlights. I also noticed that the car did not start up in the morning with the same determination it has done since I replaced the starter 6 months ago. So one morning, I drive the car a mile each way without issue to get breakfast. But when I attempt to start the car six hours later, the only response I get from the Lumina is the instrument cluster flashing in time with the deadening TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP of the starter pinion engaging but not moving the flywheel. All the accessories work, and the DMM says I have 12.6 volts on 2 year old Advance Auto Parts Gold Battery. Well, the starter has had a loose "S" terminal since I installed it, which has always bothered me, so I exchange it for a new one. I turn the key and TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP. I check the battery voltage again, and it's down to 11.4 volts.

Now I start talking to the Lumina, "You want a piece of me? You wanna go right now, mother #%&*($^ ," as I remove the leads to the ignition module for testing (and partially out of spite). So, I check for and find battery voltage at the "B" terminal. I hook up a jump starter and check the voltage at the "S" terminal with the key in start, and it's all over the place. Once the battery is charged, I remove the Passkey relay from behind the glove compartment and probe the positive wires: 8.5 to 9 volts for each. I have the battery checked, and it is very strong. I return to the Lumina, clean up all the contacts on the battery cables (BUT DO NOT POP OUT THE TERMINAL NUTS), reinstall the battery, and BOOM we have ignition. Well since I put the front of the car up to install the starter, I grease the ball joints and tie rods and change the oil. I secure the battery, reinstall the twenty or so things one needs to remove to access the battery, lower the car, and go for a test drive, only instead I hear TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP. Battery voltage at the terminals: 10.5 volts.

I am not in a very good place at this particular moment, and I over hear the jackass across the street chuckle and say to his wife, "Maybe I should go over there and show him how to install a battery." I'm thinking to myself, as I'm slouched into the engine bay, head bowed, "This ignorant douche bag doesn't even change his own wiper blades, or light bulbs, or even bother to lift the hood of his Chevy Malibu ever. Wait, Chevy Malibu?" So as a grin forms on my face, I rise up out of the engine bay, turn to him and yell, "That would be great. And then maybe I could show you how to remove everything from your key ring but your ignition key and drop your car off at the dealer for a recall." I also wanted to flash the West Side/West Coast "W" gang symbol for the W-Body, but the gesture would have been lost on him, I could tell from the look on his face that I had already caught him off-guard with a vicious right hook.

Anyway, I returned to the forums, read the post about popping out the battery terminals/nuts for cleaning, did so, recharged the battery and enjoyed my first day of trouble-free startups in far too long. I even started and then shut off the car three straight times and the battery voltage was still at least 12.5 volts.

my latest set came from a hardware store, appear to be nickel plated?

~$2-3 and well worth not trying to keep a bolt with threads that aren't very grippy anymore in good contact.

My curse is that some jackass has always attempted to use a crescent wrench or slip-joint pliers before I buy the car and the flats are rounded off the hex.

Wire brushes do wonders on corroded connections, I also check inside the battery terminals as I had a lot of build up in there when I first got my car and this had caused a no start situation similar to a dead battery.

I convert over to the gold side post terminals, but the threads are really soft so I always buy a few extra. But usually do that when I need new cables and I know when I cut open the wire and see green powder, It's time.