96 grand prix abs light on

cougarcat454

Light came on yesterday. I replaced the rear hubs maybe three or four hundred miles ago. I know I need to check the plugs wiring etc..

Anyway I was wondering what scan tool can read the abs? I have a code reader but it does not read the abs on this year car. I read that 96 - 98 have different type system. My code reader works fine for the check engine light etc.. but not for the ABS.

Any other advice to find the problem would be appreciated.

You'll probably need to find a TECH-II or Snap-On scanner with that capability to see which side is causing the problem. Since you are '96 you are full OBD-II.

Check all wiring to be sure you didn't kick up a rock and cause a break. I've had this happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked all four sensors with a multimeter. They are all four sending a signal, so sensors seem to be good.

One thing I have noticed is going down the highway with the cruise on if I push the brake slightly the converter will come out of lock up, which is normal rpms go up and then it locks right back up, funny thing is I have to push the brake a bit harder for the cruise to turn off. So I can touch the brake trans comes out of lock up but the cruise stays on, if I don't push the brake far enough to turn off the cruise and just let it keep going the converter locks right back up. I would think that the cruise should go off at the same time it comes out of lock up when I touch the brake. Wonder if it is sending a mixed signal of some type when the converter releases but the cruise stays on. The car does not go in and out of lock up going down the road so no slipping or anything.

Just need to get the thing scanned I guess.

• 3 months later...

Just figured out what the problem was. Seemed strange the cruise would not kick off like it should with just a touch of the brake.

I have a remote start installed on this car. Had not used it during the warm weather. Yesterday I decided to try the remote start. It started up. When I got in the car I thought I will just push the brake to shut off the car, it does that when running by remote start. I hit the brake and the car did not shut off.

Decided I must have a bad brake pedal switch or wire. Checked it out and one of the wires was bad on the switch. This whole time I have also been driving with no brake lights. I can not believe some had not noticed it and let me know, or that even a cop at some point had to have been behind me during the last few months.

Anyway fixed the wire ABS light went out and everything is good to go.