Relocating battery for cold air intake?

1990lumi

do you guys think it would be worth relocating the battery of a first gen w-body (90 lumina) to the passenger side to free up room on the driver side of the car to make a true cold air intake with a box for a cone filter and a ram air pipe coming from behind my bumper up to where the battery tray is to let in cold fresh air?

Hell, no.

You want a "true" cold-air intake? Pull the hose off the heated air door's vacuum motor, and plug it so there's no vacuum leak. Done. Free. No need to relocate the battery.

Won't sound like a friggin' high-school rice-boy, either.

Pull the hose off the heated air door's vacuum motor, and plug it so there's no vacuum leak.

there were w-bodies that used an exhaust heated intake setup? i've never seen that on any of the 1/1.5 gen cars with the rectangular filter housing. i don't know about the 88 only cannister setup.

hmm...... i know the 95 and earlier 3100s didn't use them, but i think the 3.1 and 3.4 did....

not that it makes a huge difference to intake air temps, there is so little surface area for the air to absorb heat in comparison to the rest of the intake tract that i would be amazed if it made a difference.

there were w-bodies that used an exhaust heated intake setup? i've never seen that on any of the 1/1.5 gen cars with the rectangular filter housing. i don't know about the 88 only cannister setup.

I think you're right Robert. No W with a 60* had one. I know for a fact a 90 Lumina didn't because a buddy of mine had one and the only difference underhood between his sedan and my coupe was the anti-freeze overflow. His sat on the core support. It's Just the different air filter setup and some other little things from 88-90 as far as I've seen. I'm sure some of the other W members can comment.

No exhaust heat on my '95 LQ1, but it does have a coolant passage heating the throttle body..

I think you're right Robert. No W with a 60* had one. I know for a fact a 90 Lumina didn't because a buddy of mine had one and the only difference underhood between his sedan and my coupe was the anti-freeze overflow. His sat on the core support. It's Just the different air filter setup and some other little things from 88-90 as far as I've seen. I'm sure some of the other W members can comment.

well i was just wondering because right now i have a cone filter intake but its one of the ebay ones and they have it so it sits right next to the exhaust manifold so my motor is sucking in very hot air right there and how would i go about doing the tb coolant bypass i have heard of it but idk how its done do i just need to get a piece of pipe pull the lines from the tb and route the colant through the new pipe or what?

That throttle body pictured is from a 3400, 96+ AFAIK without going and checking the stamps.

well i was just wondering because right now i have a cone filter intake but its one of the ebay ones and they have it so it sits right next to the exhaust manifold so my motor is sucking in very hot air right there and how would i go about doing the tb coolant bypass i have heard of it but idk how its done do i just need to get a piece of pipe pull the lines from the tb and route the colant through the new pipe or what?

Something like this hose barb joiner/splicer could work so long as you can make the hoses reach. A piece of pipe could work in the same manner, just so long as it seals.

31i42mEq9kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by skitchin