Key Fob/Remote Problems 93 Vert

Afubar

For the past 4 weeks have been having problems with key fob not locking of unlocking doors or trunck. This problem comes and goes. It wasn't until the problem first started that I realized that I didn't have a key to the doors or trunk (that will be taken care of today). Before you ask, I have put new batteries in both remotes. I've done searches here and can not find where to look for the internal part (receiver) for the remote locks on a vert. Any ideas on what to look for and where?

Also, just a side note. I had the engine replaced on this car about 3000 miles ago (new crate engine). Since that time the low coolant light comes and goes, it is not low on coolant nor does the engine run hot or warm, It's just that in the past 4 weeks (maybe tied to the lock problem) it's on more than it's off.

Suggestions.

Many Thanks

Kaye

Just FYI. I had a new top and cylinders installed back in April. Love this car ;)

Sounds like the RKE box for the fobs is dying. It needs to be soldered. It's a pretty straight forward fix if you know how to solder stuff. The box is located near the top pump under the carpet in the trunk.

By your antenna there is an electrical lead that goes no where. Get a scrap piece of wire and ground it out. If the RKE box is working you will hear all of your locks cycle.

The low coolant light is probably just the low coolant sensor. They tend to go bad. It's easy to replace on these cars.

Thanks 94 olds vert. Is there a thread here that shows how? I have soldered before. Before I had the top replaced, I checked the fluid level in the top pump, so know where that is located as well. I wonder if I can see it from the pass thru between the seats? It was easier to check the fluid level from there than pulling up the carpet and climbing in the trunk. lol I know where the electric lead to program the fobs is located as I have programed them before on the 94 that I once had.

Thanks again

Kaye

There used to be a write up on how to solder the RKE. Its no longer available.

The easiest way to remove the RKE is to remove the trunk carpet and then look by the top pump area. Its a small black rectangular box. The access is pretty good.

After the box is out remove the curcuit board. There is a row of solder joints on the back side of the board. Those like to crack. Sometimes just heating them up will fix the connection.

Hey there bender01, What a beautiful car. Hope the key Fob works for you.

On another note, when I found out I didn't have a key for the doors or trunk, went to the local GM dealer with docs to prove ownership to try and get a key cut.

1. They didn't have key blank in stock, told me that they would have one around 4 that afternoon.

2. Key didn't arrive, would be there the next am.

3. Key got there, went to pick up. Didn't work.

4. Went to larger dealership, they cut new key, didn't work. Suggested that sometime, someone had changed the door and trunk locks from factory set up.

5. Went to locksmith, they cut several more keys, no good. Suggested that I take car to have lock removed and to bring it back and they would cut a key to fit lock. Due to liability they would not remove, so I borrowed tools and removed lock and left it with them.

6. Two days later, got call that key and lock was ready.

Turns out that the data base that they were using to cut key was one number off. Door and trunk locks were original, it was the info in the database that was wrong, go figure.

Still haven't done anything with the RKE unit, weather too hot to mess with, now that I have a door key just not that important right this minute.

Wow, just noticed that you are in Hilton Head, I'm sitting in Savannah as of now. What a beautiful area.

Edited by Afubar

I got to retire a couple of years ago, bought a motor home and went full time. Have been traveling, towing my cutlass behind. Got to Savannah, liked it, decided to stay awhile. Had top replaced at Presley's in Savannah. He does great work.

Seems appropriate that I brought the Cutlass back East as the car had a Citadel sticker on the rear window before it was replaced. I haven't seen another Cutlass Vert in quite sometime now. Good to know there still out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice We just had our RV in savannah with the kids a few days! Stayed at Red Gate Farms! If you pass through again I recommend it! 200 acre former dairy farm!

• 2 months later...

Just a thought.....I recently had trouble with my RKE. The fob would open the trunk but not lock or unlock the doors. I tracked the problem down. It was a bad power lock relay (located under the clove box to the right). Replaced it and all is good now! Good Luck! BTW I had already had the RKE box refurbished when the relay went bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DawnetteStump for the info, since I had a key cut for the doors and trunk, the fob just isn't that important to me at this time. However, I've found as the weather has gotten cooler, the fob is working more reliably. Go figure.

Hey Bender01, did you ever get your key fob working?

Kaye