Instrument Cluster Stepper Motors - 1990 Lumina Euro

MReichle

Does anyone know where I can find stepper motors for the instrument cluster for my 90 Lumina? I did a lot of looking and made a call or two from what I was able to find on the web and have had no luck.

The speedometer sticks and is erratic...driving me nuts..and I'm tired of timing myself between mile markers to be sure the speedo is even close to being correct.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Might be easier to simply find and replace the cluster..are you certain this isn't a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor, or associated wiring?

Does anyone know where I can find stepper motors for the instrument cluster for my 90 Lumina? I did a lot of looking and made a call or two from what I was able to find on the web and have had no luck.

The speedometer sticks and is erratic...driving me nuts..and I'm tired of timing myself between mile markers to be sure the speedo is even close to being correct.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Might be easier to simply find and replace the cluster..are you certain this isn't a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor, or associated wiring?

The speedometer hangs up (when still or parked) at 5 MPH. It'll "jump" to around the correct speed when moving at highway speeds, but in town...it'll hang around 25 - 30 and jump up when I goose it.

I suppose I should check VSS. But, in the event it turns out to be a stepper motor issue, I'd like to have a handle on where I can get them. I figured it would be the stepper as this car has approx 197 K miles on her.

Question: What would you do about the odometer if the cluster was replaced?

I've got a '93 Lumina with a speedometer that "pegged" at 120 mph or whatever the high-end is. This happened when starting the vehicle with a weak battery. The needle now is stuck at or near full-scale.

Any chance I can pull the lens, wind it back to "0" and have it work properly again?

For that matter, WHO does decent speedometer repair? If this Lumina speedo won't work after I twist the needle back to zero, I'd likely send it off for repair, AND I've got several Honda motorcycle speedos all from the same year/model of bike (cable-driven, not electric) that also need repair.

i'm not sure how the lumina is setup, but when a GP cluster does that, once you pass about 30MPH, it will flick back to where it should be. 30MPH is 180* away from 120MPH, so something, something, magnetic field.

if yours doesn't do that(and it looks like 30ish MPH for the 120MPH lumina cluster as well), manually rotating it may not do it either. if you were to move the needle manually with the cluster powered up, if the needle fights back then the speedometer driver IC seems like it is trying to command that speed. if that is the case, either the IC needs replaced or part of the circuit that it uses for operation and calibration is damaged.