Grinding starter

Elias1552

So I've read through a lot of starter posts and they don't quite have the same problem as me. So when I go to start the car sometimes I get nothing, sometimes I get a nasty grinding noise and sometimes it fires right up. When it does nothing the lights dim on the dash and I can hear a click under the hood. So I installed a push start button so I can turn on the car. At first it would work fine, but now the grinding noise occurs when I use the push start as well. Any help I can get would be welcomed, I don't know how long the flywheel will last.

First Guess: Defective starter including the starter solenoid. Start there. While the old starter is off-the-vehicle, you can inspect the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate.

Wouldn't hurt to verify the voltage drop on the main (large) power cable attached between battery and starter solenoid, as well as the voltage drop on the ground side of the circuit.

Starter_Voltage_Drop_Testing.JPG

Replace the starter, its going bad. I recently changed mine out and you don't even have to worry about shimming it. I got my starter from Autozone and it comes with a warranty.

I usually deal with Autozone, their Duralast brand has a lifetime warranty. Just get the one recommended for your car from their site, I cant remember the exact part number. If you are searching for one at a junk yard any 3.1 or 3100 will work.

Update. So I did the voltage test and yes there where some weak connections. Also there where some extra wires on the aux stud going to some random grounds, idk why they were just there. Also the starter was going bad and the teeth on it were kind of striped at the contact edge. As for the flywheel only some scratches nothing major. Replaced the starter removed the extra wires and boom, started right up. Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate it.