2005 GP suddenly wont start and check engine light is on no codes.

deancantrell

My ac fan stopped working. I disconnected the negative battery cable to check wiring under dash. Reattactched negative battery and went to start engine. The car acted possessed and all the lights started to flash on the dash and a heard a lot of clicks. After a second or two they stopped and everything seemed normal, except the engine light is on. No codes. Reset engine light and you can hear it click to reset. Light stays on. Good battery. When I turn the ket to the start position, I get one click and nothing else. The security light is not on. I've rapped on starter, I hardly think that the issue as the car dash lights and system went crazy for a couple seconds before the issue of not starting started. The car is acting normal now except a check engine light on with no codes and a single click when trying to start and wont turn over at all. And help would be amazing and very much appreciated. Thanks!

For whatever it's worth, my 04 I've noticed has a weak negative connection, as in it's hard to get it to stay tight. Last week I went out to move it, and the lights came on when I opened the door, cranked maybe half a crank, and then absolutely nothing. I opened the hood and kinda twisted and pushed down the negative connection and it's been find for over a week. I'm gonna wire on a new connection soon. :thumbsup:

Was starting just fine. Cleaned terminals and even charged the battery to make sure that wasn't the issue
Can you take off the alternator to have it checked?

If the battery is charged, and assuming the alternator isn't mechanically locked-up via a defective bearing, how does a faulty alternator prevent the car from starting?

For whatever it's worth, my 04 I've noticed has a weak negative connection, as in it's hard to get it to stay tight. Last week I went out to move it, and the lights came on when I opened the door, cranked maybe half a crank, and then absolutely nothing. I opened the hood and kinda twisted and pushed down the negative connection and it's been find for over a week. I'm gonna wire on a new connection soon. :thumbsup:

You know the actual terminals come out of the ends, right? You can replace them by themselves if they're stripped.

If the battery is charged, and assuming the alternator isn't mechanically locked-up via a defective bearing, how does a faulty alternator prevent the car from starting?

I was thinking about it being locked up actually. Other than that, it would really be a weak battery and a dead alternator. I've had that happen to me but the serpentine belt wasn't connected because it slipped off its tensioner pulley.

You know the actual terminals come out of the ends, right? You can replace them by themselves if they're stripped.

I already have some heavier duty replacements anyway. I don't like the design of the ones on it