Coolant leak help

Nas Escobar

So I noticed I have a leak in my car and it's coming from a rather strange spot. The place where my car is leaking coolant is here in the picture.

IMG_20140522_2030211.jpg

It's the pipe directly above the exhaust pipe.

Whenever I move it, I notice either more or less coolant comes from there, depending on what angle I move it to. I also notice if I push those clips, it stops leaking, but as soon as I let go, it starts to leak again. Sometimes the leak is seldom, sometimes running coolant comes, just depends on where I move that pipe to.

My question is how do I fix this so it stops leaking whenever it's moved.

All help is appreciated.

That plastic clip probably is broke, more than likely you will have to drain the coolant to remove the brass fitting, at least out of the upper radiator hose and a bit out of the block to get the level down. That looks a lot like the one on mine but I don't have a clip, I wonder if you can swap them out so you don't have to bother with it again

You should be able to replace the whole fitting from Dorman or AC Delco. Both make one for it. The Dorman denotes a 3.1, but IIRC they're the same between the 3.1 and 3.4.

AC Delco pn: 1575224

Dorman pn: 800-401

That plastic clip probably is broke, more than likely you will have to drain the coolant to remove the brass fitting, at least out of the upper radiator hose and a bit out of the block to get the level down. That looks a lot like the one on mine but I don't have a clip, I wonder if you can swap them out so you don't have to bother with it again

How did you find one without a clip? I would much rather fix it once than think about it again.

You should be able to replace the whole fitting from Dorman or AC Delco. Both make one for it. The Dorman denotes a 3.1, but IIRC they're the same between the 3.1 and 3.4.

AC Delco pn: 1575224

Dorman pn: 800-401

All right, thanks!! I'll see if they have the Dorman at my parts store.

How did you find one without a clip? I would much rather fix it once than think about it again.

I found it right where it sits in the car.

I found it right where it sits in the car.

So you have never swapped it? :thumbsdown: I thought you swapped it in lol

Anyways, I changed mine, and it stopped leaking. Turned out the clip wasn't broken but the o ring that goes in there was deteriorated.

Checked mine today and it actually does have a clip, never have messed with it before so I guess I forgot. Good to know about the O-ring. In the future I will more than likely swap it out when the front end is getting worked on.