New Guy Trying to Resurrect his '92 Convertible

Olds Dad

Hello -

Been in to Olds my whole life - have owned a '92 Supreme Convertible since around 1996 - hasn't been on the road in about 11 years but fortunately has been safe in a garage.

Dragging it out to start getting it on the road to enjoy the warm weather. Among the needs are new front and rear glass and brakes all around.

Has anyone here sourced a replacement dash pad for these? They seem to all loosen / shrink / curl around the defroster outlet under the windshield.

Any pointers will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gordon

Welcome to the forum!

When you say "front and rear glass", do you mean the windshield and rear window (sometimes called a rear windshield) or the actual windows that go up and down?

As far as the dash, there's no replacement other than finding a good dash at the junkyard that matches your color. It took me a year to find mine, and even then it's not exact. I deleted my HUD because my replacement dash didn't have the cutout, and the lever didn't work to adjust the HUD. The dash problem is a common problem in 90% of General Motors vehicles. The dash either curls, shrinks, or cracks (as in the case of the Cavalier/Sunfire and Camaro/Firebird). IF you can't find one at the junkyard, your best option is to have a shop fiberglass your old one and restore it that way. Once the foam of the dash starts to disintegrate, it's hard to fix it. Some people just screw them in (I did that to my original one) but it makes it look bad.

Pull the dash out. Get some good glue. I used 2p10 on mine. It has been holding it down for years and it still looks good.

You can make it look like new again with some work.

Welcome to the forum!

When you say "front and rear glass", do you mean the windshield and rear window (sometimes called a rear windshield) or the actual windows that go up and down?

Front and rear windshield. I have a replacement rear one but it needs to be installed. I need to remove the front garnish mouldings and paint or powder coat as they're all faded black. My thought was to to some dash work while I had the windshield out.

My dash isn't too bad compared to some but still needs some attention.

Pull the dash out. Get some good glue. I used 2p10 on mine. It has been holding it down for years and it still looks good.

You can make it look like new again with some work.

Thanks for the input - I was actually thinking that this is what I would attempt while I had the windshield out for replacement.

If the windshield is out you probably wont even need to remove the dash.

that's what I was hoping - going to get the car out of storage this weekend and take a look at things - been a while.

Ever removed your windshield garnish moldings? If so, any insight?

Thanks

Yeah!

It can be painfu if the screws are rusted. I would spray all the screws with pb plaster first. A couple days prior would be best.

All the weather stripping needs to be removed. The sun visors and that top trim on the interior.

The a pillar trim on the inside needs to come off its just clips on and off.

After that all of screws to the black trim will be visible and just take them off. Then carefully pry at them as to not crack the windshield. If you are getting a new windshield then dont worry about it.

Welcome!

One thing they did when I had my windshield replaced was they set the glass deeper than it originally was which created a larger gap between the glass and the black surround. might ask them to take measurements before they start cutting the old one out.

they're fun cars when you get 'em right, good luck!