Looking at an 03 GP SE but it dies when a/c is turned on

FSBARAK

There is a 2003 for sale near me with a few minor problems, but the one that sticks out is the a/c. The current owner says it kills the engine when you turn it on.

Is this common? A cheap and easy fix? Or a true wallet emptying pita?

What would be a reasonable price for a car with this problem? 2003 pw, pdl, power seats, cd, spoiler, interior and exterior in very nice shape, automatic w/console shifter, 148k. Edited to add that it is a four door.

Thanks in advance

Edited by FSBARAK

$1000. It's too high mileage. $1500 max, but you should really stick to your guns, and offer him $700 and work to $1000.

As far as the A/C, I'm not sure why.

What engine does it have? I want to say N/A 3800, but not sure.

It's an easily removable, easily cleanable small part right on top that can cause problems just like that when it gets dirty

Sounds easy enough.

Thank y'all for the info.

I'll give the guy a call tomorrow sometime and see how firm he is on the price. i may have to start out a bit lower than i originally planned.

A scan tool should tell you if the IAC has been commanded to its limits or not. Or simply pull the throttle body and clean it, along with the IAC. And use better quality motor oil in the future.