Convertible - am I missing a part?

kayakexp

I bought a used 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I've followed the boot instructions, including pushing the stiffened rear of the boot and tabs under the edge of the body, but the boot usually works loose at almost any speed. In researching the problem, I've come across some references that appear to refer to a molding that's around the edge of the body (trunk) under which the boot and tabs go. All I have is bare metal (actually, painted). It's just the edge of the trunk. Am I missing some kind of plastic molding or am I misreading the references? If I am not missing a part, is there a way of better securing the boot?

It does sound like you are missing the trim piece. That said, even with it, it's very hard/impossible to get everything perfect and stay that way even with the trim piece, but probably way easier than without it.

Do you see the piece in this picture? It wraps all the way from the door handle pillar, and the center taillight is part of it.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD THIS CAR GOD DAMN IT'S SO SEXYYYYYYY

As you can see, the boot doesn't fit well even in this photo, after a GOOD AMOUNT of finagling with it.

post-3298-143689160232_thumb.jpg

Yes, that vert pictured has the trim piece. The original posters may or may not.

Not sure of the name of that color, but it's one of my favorites.

Do you see the piece in this picture? It wraps all the way from the door handle pillar, and the center taillight is part of it.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD THIS CAR GOD DAMN IT'S SO SEXYYYYYYY

As you can see, the boot doesn't fit well even in this photo, after a GOOD AMOUNT of finagling with it.

Used to be my car. I have another one the same color. You want it Buck?

Thanks for the feedback. I might try buying an aftermarket boot and doing some backyard engineering on that.

I bought a used 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I've followed the boot instructions, including pushing the stiffened rear of the boot and tabs under the edge of the body, but the boot usually works loose at almost any speed. In researching the problem, I've come across some references that appear to refer to a molding that's around the edge of the body (trunk) under which the boot and tabs go. All I have is bare metal (actually, painted). It's just the edge of the trunk. Am I missing some kind of plastic molding or am I misreading the references? If I am not missing a part, is there a way of better securing the boot?