1994 Cutlass installing factory steering wheel controls

derkach99

Hello,

I need to replace my turn signal multifunction switch due to malfunctioning brake lights. I found a Cutlass in the junk yard that has steering wheel controls and I am wondering what I need and what I need to do to install it since the switch is compatible of the use of the controls. My cutlass came with just the most basic radio with the cassette player and I replaced it with the radio from the Cutlass in the junk yard. Any ideas?

I can't answer that, but I think it is too much work to risk installing the wrong part. You are going to have to remove the airbag, clockspring, and steering wheel.

Check ebay and RockAuto and find the best price you can on a new one. It will be worth it in the long run.

I can't answer that, but I think it is too much work to risk installing the wrong part. You are going to have to remove the airbag, clockspring, and steering wheel.

Check ebay and RockAuto and find the best price you can on a new one. It will be worth it in the long run.

Thank you for your responce. I have a donor Cutlass with all the parts I need in it. I just hope its as easy as I think it is.

I think the steering wheel control wires are in the clock spring if I'm not mistaken, but it's not worth the hassle. Those cables eventually lead to the harness, then back to the radio area.

I think the steering wheel control wires are in the clock spring if I'm not mistaken, but it's not worth the hassle. Those cables eventually lead to the harness, then back to the radio area.

Thank you for responding. If i need wires to go to the radio I plan to make my own and fish them through the dash if I can.

If you can, try to get your clock spring off and compare it to the one with swc

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

Ive been looking into ignition and turn signal switch replacement in the big manual, UK3 is the option code for steering wheel controls for the 1994 Cutlass. and there is a second connector wire that goes into the steering column along with the SIR wire to the airbag. You will more than likely need to pull the steering column to get the access you need but it can be done. all the parts between having that option or not appear the same.

There is a website i found that tells you how to do it with pictures for tge multifunction switch. I just now need to find what i need to do between the steering column and the radio if something needs to be changed there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you can, try to get your clock spring off and compare it to the one with swc

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

The clock spring is different.

The clock spring is different.

Good to know, I might one day add this option to my car. Should you need torque numbers or additional info for the `94 CS just ask. I would have thought the manual would have mentioned the difference.:shrug:

I have the big green manual too but there is nothing like talking to ppl that actually do stuff like this to cutlasses. The wire from the controls goes through the clockspring but that's the only difference. I am planning also to put stock keyless entry into my cutlass but it seems like a mess but ppl says its easy.

I have the big green manual too but there is nothing like talking to ppl that actually do stuff like this to cutlasses. The wire from the controls goes through the clockspring but that's the only difference. I am planning also to put stock keyless entry into my cutlass but it seems like a mess but ppl says its easy.

I would just go ahead and get an alarm instead if you're going to go through all that trouble. The concept would be similar, you have to get a "brain" to control the lock features and then just add the shock sensors. There's a write up on how to do it, but it was done on a Buick Regal last time I checked. It's still the same concept though.

I would just go ahead and get an alarm instead if you're going to go through all that trouble. The concept would be similar, you have to get a "brain" to control the lock features and then just add the shock sensors. There's a write up on how to do it, but it was done on a Buick Regal last time I checked. It's still the same concept though.

I'm not a big fan of third-party electronics in my car it's only going to cause more trouble in the long run unless its specifically made for my car.

Well today I returned to the wreaking yard to pull out that switch along with all the parts that I got loose getting to it. I am confusted of what the deference is of the multifunction switch is which steering wheel controls as oppose to not having the controls. I did find however from the clockspring the wire going through it for the controls has its own separate connector under the dash. I am hoping that my cutlass will have that wire there waiting to be connected to the clockspring and steering wheel controls on my cutlass which doesn't have those controls. If not I can always make my own wire going to the radio, I am not even attempting to rip that wire out of the car seeing that if joins up with a dozen wires all in one bulk run into the dashboard.

I'm not a big fan of third-party electronics in my car it's only going to cause more trouble in the long run unless its specifically made for my car.

You could get a GM Goodwrench alarm that works with the stock keyless. I had one in my Cutlass, it was easy to install but I already had RKE. I did put RKE from a 1995 GP in to my 1989 GMC Sierra, it was fairly easy.

You could get a GM Goodwrench alarm that works with the stock keyless. I had one in my Cutlass, it was easy to install but I already had RKE. I did put RKE from a 1995 GP in to my 1989 GMC Sierra, it was fairly easy.

May I contact you later on installing keyless entry?

I have a good feeling everything will work with the controls as well as my horn. As it does not work anymore.

Well Yesterday I installed clockspring and the multifunction switch and I can say that YES the steering wheel controls do work for the radio only since I do not have the digital climate control. All you need is a steering wheel control compatible radio, multifunction switch, clockspring and of course the airbag with the controls and it’s all plug in and play. There is no need to run wires through your dashboard regardless of what your Cutlass came with and I am assuming other w-bodies are the same way for 1994. The only issue I found if pulling and pushing wires up and down the steering column, that was a lot of fun to do! The only problem I have now is that my horn still doesn’t work. I noticed when I looked at the horn wires coming off the airbag somehow got cut so I got then resodered. I am wondering if the fuse blew when the wires separated.

That might be a possibility, or it may be another cut somewhere in the horn's wiring.

If you get a PAC, I wonder if you can reprogram the A/C stuff to work with the radio.

That might be a possibility, or it may be another cut somewhere in the horn's wiring.

If you get a PAC, I wonder if you can reprogram the A/C stuff to work with the radio.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

PAC is the brand of steering wheel control adapters. When you hook em up to a radio, you're supposed to program the functions of each steering wheel control button.

The A/C side doesn't work without the radio anyways. I took out my stock radio and the buttons stopped working for the A/C as well. They just light up. so that's why I said "I wonder if you can make the A/C stuff work with the radio" so make the "fan" button change stations and tracks or get the temperature button to change source.

Here's a video of what I mean. The person is using an Infiniti, but the concept is more or less the same.

PAC is the brand of steering wheel control adapters. When you hook em up to a radio, you're supposed to program the functions of each steering wheel control button.

The A/C side doesn't work without the radio anyways. I took out my stock radio and the buttons stopped working for the A/C as well. They just light up. so that's why I said "I wonder if you can make the A/C stuff work with the radio" so make the "fan" button change stations and tracks or get the temperature button to change source.

Here's a video of what I mean. The person is using an Infiniti, but the concept is more or less the same.

My Cutlass has the original radio and the base climate controls.

My Cutlass has the original radio and the base climate controls.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were upgrading to an aftermarket radio.