89' Grand Prix leakage and over heat, newbie sent by ShockTherapy

karrproblems

I have just been handed an 89' Grand Prix that has in the past had over heating problems. it's still pretty cold outside where I'm at so it hasn't had the problem. we changed the thermometer twice and that wasn't it. It was also brought to my attention that there is leaking coming from under the car. it had a red-ish tint to it and it's towards the front end of the car, nothing seems to be wrong performance wise. there's just leaking and over heating in the warm weather. also noticed the battery voltage bobs up and down when the turning signal is on and when I apply the brakes, I figure it's just an alternator. and finally yesterday, happening for the first time, I had it in park and running and it sounded like it was trying to rev and my foot was no where near the gas. HELP

reddish fluid is going to be power steering or auto trans fluid.

battery voltage swinging with those loads is pretty common, especially at an idle. the alternator just can't put out enough current at those engine speeds to keep up. the rear defogger will also cause some pretty significant drop as well. in park, do all of this and get the guage swinging, then give it some throttle to get the engine speed up, it should level out by the time you get up to ~2000 RPM or so. a weak battery can also cause some of this, as would a loose/less functional auxiliary positive terminal. or ground strap issues..... or pretty much anything charging system related.