radiator blew :/

Tylerlp0

You'd have to be a little more specific than that. Like what car? Any parts store has them and junk yards have them.

Edit, I see now you posted in the TGP section . .. I would have yours fixed instead of replaced. They are TGP specific. You could put an aftermarket one in, but repairing yours is best. I have a spare. . where do you live? I'm not sure i want to part with it yet.

You'd have to be a little more specific than that. Like what car? Any parts store has them and junk yards have them.

Edit, I see now you posted in the TGP section . .. I would have yours fixed instead of replaced. They are TGP specific. You could put an aftermarket one in, but repairing yours is best. I have a spare. . where do you live? I'm not sure i want to part with it yet.

I live in Dayton Ohio. Mine blew down by the drain plug along the fins :/ where would I even get the fixed? Or where would I get a good one?

Shop around for radiator repair shops in your area. Someone likely can point you to one within a reasonable distance. Be prepared to spend around $250ish+ to have the radiator recored. Alternatively, you could measure all the dimensions and try to find a universal aluminum radiator of equivalent size that wouldn't take to much work to install. If you go that route, save your old one anyway.

Autozone? Advanced Auto? Pep Boys? O`Rielly`s? Its not at all hard to replace yourself. If you insist on taking it to a shop to be worked on bring some KY jelly for the reaming you will get on price vs doing it yourself. Its easy but can make a mess. Coolant wont hurt you so long as you do drink it or get it in your eyes.

Dayton is a tiny little town;) but surely you have seen an autoparts store before. Also year make and model could be helpful. We can probably talk you right through it.

Edited by rich_e777

Autozone? Advanced Auto? Pep Boys? O`Rielly`s? Its not at all hard to replace yourself. If you insist on taking it to a shop to be worked on bring some KY jelly for the reaming you will get on price vs doing it yourself. Its easy but can make a mess. Coolant wont hurt you so long as you do drink it or get it in your eyes.

Dayton is a tiny little town;) but surely you have seen an autoparts store before. Also year make and model could be helpful. We can probably talk you right through it.

He has a TGP and the radiator is specific to them. No parts stores have them. GM used to have some, but wanted an astronomical price for them($1500+ starting in the early 00's).

im going through this right now and one quote was around 300 dollars the other 365 dollars. gmpartsdirect.com has one listed for mclaren for 295 but when i emailed them asking for dimensions they replied they don't have it so repair is truely the only option

Lol i have a 1995 beretta base that started with a 2.2 4 cylinder that i swapped to a 3500 turbo....replacing a radiator is cake work! lol i just need to figure out where to get one considering that it is TGP specific.

Tgp parts cars are floating around. I also have an extra radiator, but if I were you I'd take the advice and get yours repaired. It would be nice knowing its a brand new radiator

I have several "rebuildable" core TGP radiators, Don't know what the heck I'll ever do with them, if you are interested in one I'd be willing to sell one, but it would be with the knowledge that it needs rebuilt.

Lol i have a 1995 beretta base that started with a 2.2 4 cylinder that i swapped to a 3500 turbo....replacing a radiator is cake work! lol i just need to figure out where to get one considering that it is TGP specific.

Gotcha, its hard to keep track of everyone`s ride. Maybe should have paid attention which sub-forum it was in would help as well.

Maybe a shop that specializes in building import cars would be able to help you out.

for real? what does import cars have to do with this "sub" forum though?

He's just saying they work with a lot of weird stuff and might be more confident in something like this

I saw an old post by Chris A saying the radiator is a copper core with brass end tanks.

From what I've found on Google, this type of radiator can be repaired by soldering.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374681

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/fixing-not-fixing-hole-radiator-91777/

Don't know that I'd recommend DIY considering the radiators are so rare you'll not want to mess it up, although I would probably attempt it myself for the learning experience.

repairing the current one will definetly happen but id really like to buy another one just to have a spare....i love driving that car lol but its starting to lose coolant more and more everyday so right now it is just kind of sitting :/

When you say the rad *blew*, can you be more specific?

Did the aluminum core develop a leak, did the plastic tank on the end split, or did the gasket fail?

The latter two would be an easy repair, the former a little more involved.

When you say the rad *blew*, can you be more specific?

Did the aluminum core develop a leak, did the plastic tank on the end split, or did the gasket fail?

The latter two would be an easy repair, the former a little more involved.

I would vote for none of the above. LOL The core is copper, and the tanks are brass.. Most likely, the core is leaking.

^ Really?,

well don't I feel silly, I haven't seen a copper rad in a GM vehicle since 1985, even my first '88 GP SE had an aluminum rad, as well the 6000, an '86 Camaro & the all Fieros we've owned.

I wonder if the copper rad was the work of McLaren?

^ Really?,

well don't I feel silly, I haven't seen a copper rad in a GM vehicle since 1985, even my first '88 GP SE had an aluminum rad, as well the 6000, an '86 Camaro & the all Fieros we've owned.

I wonder if the copper rad was the work of McLaren?

I'm pretty sure it was. It's not interchangeable with a non-turbo car either. They are a different size.