popping and banging right front strut

2001goldGTP

Hello,

this morning I got no warning when my right front started making very loud popping and banging on the freeway. When i got the to train station and parked this morning I got out and pushed down on the car and I can get the noise to happen, it is coming from where the shock would be in the strut tower. i had to get to work and couldn't look at it more. Could it be a loose nut on top of the shock? I replaced the shocks about 8 months ago.

Thanks

If the nut came off the top of the strut and the rod was just left to slam up and down I could see that. Last time I heard that sound it was a swaybar endlink, might want to check there before you bother to unbolt the caps.

it happens on the up and down only, the steering is still tight feels good, It just came out of no where today. I am leaving in about 10 mins to go back to the station and see what I can see. I have never touched the spring and the swap bar end links looked fine when i replaced the hubs 6 weeks ago. California car, no real rust

Yup, that's how mine sounded, up and down but the car steered alright. My money's on the endlink, could still be a strut related issue. You should root for the endlink too, it's way cheaper, lol

Ive seen the nut that holds the strut down come loose, I rented the special tool and tightened everything back up and i was good, i could push the car up and down and get it to rattle

Ive seen the nut that holds the strut down come loose, I rented the special tool and tightened everything back up and i was good, i could push the car up and down and get it to rattle

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. My strut got damaged from it bouncing around, but it was replaced for free anyways. I don't have a picture of it, but I made the tool myself with a 2 1/4" nut welded to a length of pipe, and 4 1/4"-20 bolts welded to the other end to line up with the holes in the nut.

I have the right tools but i didnt at the train station. I rented a 24mm and a braker bar and got a 1/4 turn on it made it home fine. Today it was back. I am putting my impact wrench on the mofo tomorrow. My 64 olds was getting worked on today.

I tighten the nut on the top of the strut just under the cover plate. The paint on the bottom of the cover w scratched. It started doing it again today. So i may take the whole thing apart and try all over.

I'll bet those big rubber upper strut mounts are shot! I got a sound out of mine, but can't remember what it was, anyway they made noise and were wearing the front tires funny so they got replaced a couple years ago. See if those seem sloppy and weak.

Took it apart tonight. The bottom nut that requires the weird socket with the 4 pins was completely loose. I retightned it. The noise is gone for now.

There's supposed to be oil in there, a measured amount just dumped in where the strut lives. I don't remember what the measured amount is and it doesn't seem to be specified what kind of oil so on my car i pour hydraulic jack oil in until it seems close to the top.

Yeah mine has a lot still. I never messed with it. I looked at it, said no way that came from my dead shocks, threw the new ones in.