Change hud from imperial to metric - I have read several posts on this already

sleepy34

I was wondering if anyone had a solution for how I can change my hud to metric as I am a Canadian. I curently have it off as I am doing a dash repair and thought now would be good time to tackle it while the wires are exposed in case it involves moving one around?????? I also recomend if you go to all the trouble taking dash off change stock speakers . It is the only way to get at them.:(

post-6425-14368915789_thumb.jpg

post-6425-143689157903_thumb.jpg

post-6425-143689157918_thumb.jpg

post-6425-143689157929_thumb.jpg

An english/metric switch would be ideal. In a coupe it mounts in the same place as the top switch.

The switch looks identical to a top switch, but I am not sure if they are physically the same.

It should only be one or two wires that need to be messed with. If you ground out the right one you maybe be able to have Metric all the time.

Edited by 94 olds vert

1994. it is the light blue wire . it need to be spliced to the black wire. problem is I have 2 light blue wires and 2 black wires on the harness. both of different gauges. I need diagram to know which is pin h to be spliced to pin b

at least on my Bonneville there is an extra ground wire that normally goes nowhere, and just grounding it will change it to KM/H from MPH

And they might be hard to see, but the connector will have ABCDE and FGHIJ or some variation of that printed on either side to let you know what pin is what.

found list of colors in order on the pin. grounded both end of light blue wire (h) to black wire (B). worked like a charm . all back together. tks guys:biggrin:

Alright guys, c'mon now,

now I own a '91 GP with the HUD, (being Canadian my car has both English & Metric, but that should be irelevant), now I'm assuming that GM has provided a similar option in the Cutlass (even a '94) for altering the display on the Cutlass HUD,

Is there a Cutlass DIC? ....find the MODE button for the DIC display, with the ignition on hold the mode button down a few seconds until the display alters from English to Metric or visa versa, now press the *set* button to lock the setting.

That's all there is to it in the GP, doesn't the Cutlass have a similar option?.

Edited by 55trucker

91 was the last year for DICin the CS. Presumably 94 verts with HUD intended for Canada had the wire simply grounded at the factory, as the factory switch location was where the top switch went. Not sure on the how or where the grounding was done.

A 91 GP HUD is basically the same unit (the internals, that is) as the 94 CS, excluding one revision on the circuit board affecting the functioning of the fuel light.

Edited by Crazy K

91 was the last year for DIC. Presumably 94 verts with HUD intended for Canada had the wire simply grounded at the factory. No sure on the how or where... but a 91 GP HUD is basically the same unit as teh 94 CS, excluding one revision on the circuit board affecting the functioning of the fuel light.

91 for the Cutty?

the DIC in the GP was in the lower console until 94 when it was relocated to the instrument panel, the compass was omitted & the feature was renamed Trip Calculator, it still drove the HUD,

I did some digging (out of curiosity), there should be a rocker switch, either on the lower console or mounted to the left of the steering wheel that alters the HUD display from eng to metric, but, apparently that only applies to exported cars to countries that use metric.

Sleepy, what have you got there?, a US or Canadian car? I can see in one of the photos that the odometer is metric, so I'm assuming that your car is Canadian, there should be a switch to change the display.

editted for clarity above. In 94, the E/M switch was in the center console front, as I found in a US sedan that I got my first HUD from. Ergo, a vert may not have the ability to have a switch at all...