3100 to 3400 Throttle Body Swap

Michael Savage

Alright guys I've been working on a direct swap for the Higher Flow 3400 Throttle Body.

You need the 3100 Throttle Body and 3400 Throttle Body to make it bolt up without the throttle cable swap.

esa2e6e7.jpg

This is what I'm starting with. I'll post more pictures as we go.

First off clean it up good. I used B-12 Chemtool and the grease just ran off.

Then take all the sensors off and remove the plate.

Take a hammer and ping the top rod where the TPS Sensor sits on.

The rod has a pressed on washer so you have to tap it out.

Do the same to your 3100 Throttle Body.

Install the 3100 Rod back into your 3400 Throttle Body and put the 3400 Plate back in.

The Throttle Cable Bracket needs a hole drilled for the 3400 Throttle Body that was repositioned and just drill the hole and bolt it on and hook it up.

I will post more pictures before and after the port and polish tomorrow if I have time to do it.

So far with the lack of a full guide online, I figured I would post it on here to help others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swapped a 3400 tb directly on my 02 century and didn't have to swap the throttle cables.

Which 3100 did you swap it on? The L82 or LG8?

Great write up though!

L82 Uses old style 95-99, LG8 is the 3100 with the large ports is built like the 3400 so uses the next gen Spindle.

Also the info I got off 10 different websites was wrong about the bracket, it's only if you use the new style bracket.

Swap was fairly easy, didn't get more pictures today it's been raining it's ass off, ported it out and removed all of that high lips on the side walls and removed most of the lip that goes into the duct so it goes straight in.

So far I've noticed a really good difference.

Also those Coolant pipes look ugly, I honestly don't see why they added that in the next gens, just another place to leak coolant.

Also those Coolant pipes look ugly, I honestly don't see why they added that in the next gens, just another place to leak coolant.

They are there to prevent the TB from frosting up in extreme cold. I bypassed mine and just cut them off.

I've driven at -20*F with my old 3100 TB without coolant and frost won't build up on it because it stays about 100-150*F while driving so I just don't see a need for it unless you live in Alaska or somewhere like that.

Nice post! I've got a 3400 TB I was planning on swapping over Was also going to port it, would be curious to see how yours turned out. What sort of bits/tools etc did you use to port the tb?

I was also probably going to put a straight connector between the coolant lines. Not horribly concerned with the plate sticking due to cold(GM stopping doing it on the LS3 anyhow). Honestly it'll probably drop the IAT a good bit.

Anyhow, hope to see more pics.

Cool, Ive always wondered how to swap the throttle cable connections on the TB. Might do this swap and bore this weekend if weather and work permits.

I did a ported and polished 3400 tb on my old engine. Really woke it up. I forgot how I did it but I made my stock cable work without switching parts. It was pretty worn so I ended up using a 3800 cable with zip ties lol. When I did the porting I just used alotta sandpaper and beer :)

3400 matches the 3100 Gasket perfectly it's the same port basically. And I'll try to get some pictures one day of how the port and polish came out.

ybe5ytup.jpg

evyta3yr.jpg

I removed all the lip inside.

I know you see some groves in the metal but it's as slick as possible. Tried sanding and everything couldn't get that groves look out, but it's as smooth as a fresh coat of paint.

ybe5ytup.jpg

evyta3yr.jpg

I removed all the lip inside.

I know you see some groves in the metal but it's as slick as possible. Tried sanding and everything couldn't get that groves look out, but it's as smooth as a fresh coat of paint.

Looking Real sweet!!!. How'd she run??? can you really notice the diff?

again that looks sweet:dance:

Well i went to the jy today and the fools wanted 50$$$ for the tb WTH???

Note to all AVOID Pick your parts in Socal!!! total price gougers... im going down the street to the local jy.. better CHEAPER parts there!!!

Edited by 1979lee

Oh yeah, I used a dremel used all the heads basically and used the enamel last then used aluminum polish with a polish wheel.

that's just how aluminum is.... being that soft of a metal, it's hard to get a mirror-like surface. maybe with some 1500/2000 grit first, then polish.

Yeah I'm trying to find some dremel Sand Heads at that grit. Mirror is hard to get but at least it's bigger, straight shot in, and super slick.

But running wise the TB made a great difference, much better throttle response too. Doesn't whistle like my 3100 TB kinda miss that sound but the difference was worth it.

Trying to figure out how this Throttle Enhancer is wired I saw on Summit Racing to help more with the throttle delay, rather wire it myself than spend $100 on a wire lol if it works.

I'd like to do this if I can come up with a 3400 TB, have some work planned under the hood anyway. Is there much of a difference in the size of that opening? I have a spare 3100 TB and it looks like it's the same diameter. Or is that not where the increased flow comes from?

oh, my car is a 96 cutty and the spare I'm looking at is from a 98 grand am.

Edited by j_mezz

The 3100 plate is a 52 and the 3400 is a 56 it's a decent difference.

I would also suggest a mod I'm working on now, doing a 2000-2005 3100 top swap(3400 is the same, but I'm keeping mine as the 3100 it is), coolant line swap(2000 is better press in version), and you have to swap to a 2000 EGR pipe and swap to the newer EGR(if you have the cylinder shaped one). Now EGR if you use the 3 solenoid one like on the 95s you need an EGR adapter plate from Milzy Motosports. I'm working on all this now actually.

Hey, thanks for posting this! I found a 3400 TB on ebay and just finished swapping the linkage and porting it. To the questions about the gasket, you can definitely use either one. They're both bored to the largest size. On the smaller TB's you always have a ring around the collar thing going on - a ring of dirt where the gasket wasn't covering.

I didn't follow the part about drilling a hole for the re positioned linkage, guess I'll figure that out when I go to mount it...

I used the sensors from the 3400, does it matter which ones you use?

I thought about doing the 3400 top swap when I did my LIM a while back. Wanted to keep it simple as I hadn't ever done it before. Kicking myself now though...

Edited by j_mezz