Nas Escobar

So my SES light on my 1994 Cutlass Supreme has been on for a while and I actually had to buy a new laptop to diagnose it because my old one was giving me problems. I'll eventually fix that one but that's another story/another time.

Anyways, I'm having an issue where P0117 is triggering the SES light. Tunerpro says the code is "Low Coolant Level" but upon checking the dashboard on TP, my coolant temperature is at -38F, which is absurd considering it's 70F outside. On the car's gauge cluster, the temperature gauge is reading normal, the engine isn't heating up past the 200F mark nor has it actually overheated. On the other hand the fans are always on, which I assume is because the computer isn't receiving the real coolant temp.

Upon further searching, I found out the code is triggered by the ECT. With that new piece of information my question now is... where is the ECT located on the LQ1 and how hard is it to get it out and swap it; assuming the sensor is truly bad and not simply disconnected.

If I have to lift up the plenum, do I need to change the "o" ring again?

All help is appreciated!

yeah, the PCM is reading -38*F for some reason, which is low enough for it to set the CTS DTC and force the fans on at all times.

your guage is run off of a different sensor and is likely accurate enough to know that the PCM's CTS is wrong.

http://imgur.com/Sm7aM3R

test procedure will help determine if it is a harness, sensor or PCM issue.

obviously, where it says Tech1, substitute tunerpro.

http://imgur.com/DgYdKRx

Thanks Robert! Do I need to take off the Intake tube to get to that sensor?, or what do I need to take off in order to get to that, considering that the LQ1 is crazy with everything bolted on.

definitely take the intake tubing off, alldata is even saying to pull the exhaust crossover, though i don't know if that is necessary. showing 2.1 hours for labor, for soem idea of how long it is supposed to take.

I've replaced the sensor on my LQ1 a few years ago, I'm very certain the crossover was left in place...

Galaxy, how did you manage to get that sensor out? I can't even see it!

• 1 month later...

I should update that I fixed that sensor. Crossover doesn't come out, but the space is extremely limited since you have to get it near the end of the plenum.

Yeah, when I did mine it took some doing, but I've been in and out of there a couple dozen times in the last week messing with the wiring. It took me maybe 10 minutes to swap the sensor though? :dunno: Would have been easier taking the intake off, yes, but I didn't want to do that.

I have a WAI instead of the stock intake because the accordion tubing was cracking and I thought that was the issue with my unstable idle which ended up being my LIM gaskets. I've really had it hard with this car, I'm dealing with alignment issues now.

That WAI saved me though since it's a lot easier to take out the WAI than the stock intake box. I needed visibility, plus the heater hose ended up having a leak so it had to come out regardless.