91 ciera seats question=-

jamesmetairie

everyone tells me that the seats are easily changed from alot of w-body cars.

question=- i want to put a 98 luimna passenger front seat into the drivers front of a 1991 cutless ciera.

i looked at all kinds of 1999 malibu,s etc, at the salvage yard.

i do:think:n,t see them to bolt right in.

Am i missing something?

thanks for any advice.

Malibu's are not a W body car, they are N body.

Before anything, are your seats bench seats or bucket seats? Because this might be the major factor in your quest to swap seats.

Seat swapping is really about ingenuity. There's 3 basic ways to swap a seat.

1. Swap seat foams to stock seat frame
  2. Adapt donor seat frame to receiving car floor. This usually means either drilling holes into the car's floor (not recommended for beginners) or making new holes in seat frame (easier to do).
  3. Make brackets out of metal that will attach to the car's seat bolt holes and the mount holes on the seat frame.

Obviously newer GM cars like the Malibu and 1997-2005 W bodies are only bolted in the back and they are placed into the floor at the front with 2 tabs on the seat frame. With that being said the easiest way to do it would be to take measurements in the back to make sure that the frame will bolt on to the car and make holes that correspond with the holes in the car for the front. You would have to grind off the tabs with a dremel or some other cutting tool.

The Lumina itself IIRC should have 4 8mm bolts holding it to the floor. If the measurements are the same, or similar, those should be a direct bolt on.

On the flip side, if you don't mind getting more involved, you can always get seats out of a 2000ish Grand Am (I like those seats but you can choose another car) and swap the seat foams to your Ciera's seat frame. You would need to take the foam off the lower portion of the seat, then the seat bucket comes off the frame. It's held on by 4 bolts. Then you can easily adapt the seat to your frame.

everyone tells me that the seats are easily changed from alot of w-body cars.

question=- i want to put a 98 luimna passenger front seat into the drivers front of a 1991 cutless ciera.

i looked at all kinds of 1999 malibu,s etc, at the salvage yard.

i do:think:n,t see them to bolt right in.

Am i missing something?

thanks for any advice.

i also heard that lumina sedan seats would fit.

anyway that,s the seat i,m hoping to put in the ciera.

Measure the frames up between the Ciera and Lumina. That's the easiest way for you to see if it's a bolt on. You specifically want to measure the length between one bolt hole and the other to see if both cars have them to the same size.